iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet again more help please

Started by Busysawyer, July 06, 2018, 10:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

I hate doing this and feel like I should be figuring this out on my own but I'm having a hard time finding out what this tree is. I have quite a few of these small 4 to 6 inch diameter trees on the property and a few 18 or so inch diameter that appear to be the same species.  Thank you guys, one of these days you will have thoroughly schooled me and I can stop asking for tree ids.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Don P

Looks like an eastern hophornbeam. Does it have a beer hops looking flower and a catkin when in "bloom"?

Busysawyer

Thanks Don , I'm not really sure what it looks like in bloom. Before i got into milling I never really paid attention to my trees.  I knew the large, common, easy to identify trees but never really look at my forest closely.  I googled hophornbeam and the bark looks identical to the pics.  I didn't take a very good pic of my leaves so I can't tell if they have those tiny serrations I'm seeing in the Google pics 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Don P

It's a smaller tree that likes to take over here. Young ones have smooth bronze bark with horizontal lenticels like cherry or birch. Deer don't browse them so I can end up with sort of thickets of them. The firewood is good if kept dry, it rots very fast on the ground. Not particularly easy to dry, similar to hickory and makes a good hickory substitute on the grill, the smoke is very similar.

WDH

That is what it looks like to me, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!