iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

42 hp Kubota hard start

Started by PAmizerman, July 15, 2018, 09:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

So I've been noticing that my mill has been hard to get started first thing in the morning.
Sometimes it will fire right up other times it will fire once then shut off and I have to crank it for 15-20 seconds then it fires and will start up fine the rest of the day.

I replaced the glow plugs and put in a volt monitor this spring. So I know the plugs are getting power.

I replaced the fuel filter as well. and it still does it. 

Thoughts?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Percy

Just a thought. I have the same motor on my 2003 lt70. I had a problem simolar to you years ago and it turned out to be the quick connection on the diesel tank. Sucking air. If you. Are getting smoke from the exhaust while turning over the engine, my scenario is probably not your issue. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sawguy21

Are the glow plugs cycling normally?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

Do you have a primer squeeze bulb in the fuel line? About $30 but worth every penny, no diesel dribbling down my chin any more.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I had a Cummins 6bt that was hard to start.  Fuel line was sucking air.  After I fixed the fuel line, that thing you just barely had to bump the starter and it was running.  Best starting engine I ever had.
Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

The glow plugs are cycling I can hear them clicking

Terriffic
Do you prime you're engine every time or just if you run it out of fuel?

I do believe there is a air leak now that I think about it. Where one of the connections goes into the tank the sawdust is sticking to the tank and I can tell there is a small leak.

This is why I love this forum. I'm always learning something new. Thanks all
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

barbender

Yep, it sounds like you're getting a little air in the low pressure/supply side of your fuel system. I've been trying to track down a similar issue on my Lombardini, mine starts fine but hiccups when I engage the clutch. I already replaced the quick coupler, that wasn't it. I have to try the connections on the fuel seperator.
     4x4, I had a line sucking air on my Dodge Cummins once. That truck always started and ran flawless, and I usually ran straight #2 through the winter with Power Service additive and never a problem. A couple winters back, every time I put #2 in that thing, even 50%, it would start gelling (or so I thought). I gave up and ran straight #1 all winter. Finally, in the spring I saw a little dribble of fuel, sure enough that braided fuel line was leaking. Turned out that was the problem the whole time, the thicker #2 must've caused it to suck air since it was on the suction side of the lift pump.
Too many irons in the fire

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PAmizerman on July 15, 2018, 10:24:37 PMTerriffic Do you prime you're engine every time or just if you run it out of fuel?

If you mean squeeze the bulb, whenever I switch fuel tanks,  which is most days and often otherwise during setup when I'm on that side and think of it.  On swapping tanks it takes several squeezes till the bulb loses its slack.   Only infrequently do I run out of fuel, in that case it is: crack open the nut on top of the fuel filter and squeeze till full, close it, then do the same at the nut on the engine. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

12v dodges will burn out the fuel bowl heater element which melts the plastic where connector pins pass thru.  The connector plug has a seal so fuel never weeps out but air pulls in.  Delete the bowl heater unless youre in the arctic.  It doesnt alter starts.
 They also delaminate the little formed rubber elbow that connects the heater housing to the lift pump.  And they crack the lift pump spring.  And ive had algae clog the intank screen unit.

If the kubota has an inline plunger style drop in pump, it may have a cracked or weak spring.  You lift the pump out and push on each cam roller to check.  Spring is right behind it.
Praise The Lord

4x4American

I remember putting an oil filter o ring up in the fuel heater on my '89 12v based upon someones recomendation when I was trying to find where it was sucking air.  It was around the sending unit where it sucked air
Boy, back in my day..

Callaway1702

Also check to see if it happens at a certain level of fuel in the tank. I started having problems and come to the conclusion I had a crack in my pick up tube inside the tank. New tank fixed my problem after changing filters, fuel lines, hand pump, and the quick connections.  Hope you find it. I chased mine for quite a while.

thechknhwk

My 33hp kubota exhibited similar issues until it wouldn't stay running at all unless you kept the starter engaged.  Replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid, all well since then.

mike_belben

Shutoff solenoid hangup is a common issue.  You can pull that and verify manually on everything ive encountered. 

A little cleaning usually ungums the solenoid too.  Dodge guys.. dont let your starter go to clicking for too long or itll catch fire when it sticks in the crank position.  A set of $30 lugs will solve it, easy fix.  Everything about owning a 12v is easier if you trim the sheetmetal behind the shock on the driver side.  All the action is right there.  And if you got an automatic that acts up, clean your ground cables.  Passenger side ground will wreak havoc on governor pressure sensor and transducer and make erratic shifts. 
Praise The Lord

LeeB

I can vouch for the starter catching fire. Had it happen to me while in Houma LA quite a few years back. Was at a job interview. I did end up getting the job.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ladylake

Sounds like fuel is draining back overnight, there should be a check valve to prevent that.  check that and for any loose or cracked fuel lines on the engine.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mike_belben

On bosch pumps the low pressure galley is kept full by the overflow valve.  Its a spring loaded check ball inside the banjo fitting of the return line.  Forward toward the top front of the pump on the engine side. 

My kubota L175 seems to rely on gravity feed to maintain prime.  Im not near it or id go double check.  I dont think it had a return line? Just injector drains.
Praise The Lord

PAmizerman

Thanks for all the help and getting me steerd in the right direction.
I think I have it fixed. There was a loose clamp on the fuel line feeding the injectors. Tightened it up and it's been firing right up.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

Now I have to check out my truck it's cranking long as well
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

bandmiller2

I'm late into this fray but something worthy to check is bacteria growing in diesel fuel clogging the filters. These nasty bacteria's actually feed on diesel fuel and moisture that in all fuel in small amounts. Its especially prevalent in warm humid areas in tanks with little fuel turnover, kinda sounds like a lot of diesel mills. I add a small amount of biocide to my diesel fuel when I buy it. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!