iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does Anyone Use this?

Started by Lawg Dawg, August 24, 2018, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Would this be a better option? :P
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

It all depends on what Howard is feeding to wood... never have figured out why or what people think they need to feed a tabletop. I wonder if feeding it sawdust is ok as long as its another species. There's no telling what is in those kind of waxes so probably not a good idea.

Another horror story, When I was spraying the truck a couple of months ago, before the owl aerial bombardment incident, the hood fisheyed twice. That fisheye crater has impressive dimension when you try to reprep and get it ready to try again. All that was going on at $300/gallon, I was not a happy camper for a day or two :D

Larry

Johnson paste wax for me.  I also have Slip-It and sometimes use it as it is easier/faster to apply.

In a pinch I also sprinkle baby powder on the tables.  Usually when I have a long run on the shaper with the feeder and hold downs sat up.  That way I don't have to break down my setup to wax the tables.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

farmfromkansas

I know all you wax guys will call this heresy, but I use wipe on poly on my C I tables.  Seals them, no rust, and wears for months.  If you want to wax over it, ok, but I need no wax on my planer or jointer tables.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Lawg Dawg

Lots of great tips!  How about that wipe on poly...sounds intresting! :laugh:
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Southside

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on August 28, 2018, 07:04:55 AM
Lots of great tips!  How about that wipe on poly...sounds intresting! :laugh:
It's really hard to get the bugs with it, end up chasing them all around the shop.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Southside logger on August 28, 2018, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on August 28, 2018, 07:04:55 AM
Lots of great tips!  How about that wipe on poly...sounds intresting! :laugh:
It's really hard to get the bugs with it, end up chasing them all around the shop.  :D
I think I'll just start spraying wasp killer on my planer bed...see how that works :D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Well, at least you won't have any wasp nests on your planer bed :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Oh man, just open up a whole new avenue for stories :D

So it was later summer, the wasps were being ornery. I needed to get up on the roof. So I climbed the ladder with 2 cans, ready to hit em with crossfire. I let go on the nest and then track one of the escapees as he flies low over the shingles. I finally drop him and drill him with both barrels for a second. That's about the time that I realized that the really good spray, that knock a flock of migrating ducks outta the sky a 600 yards stuff, will also turn shingles to liquid tar. Ooops :D

samandothers

Well I have learned there are many options to polish the equipment tables with and silicone is not one of them!

Thanks for the post Lawg Dawg I am sure you would never use silicone and did this to generate a great discussion!

WDH

Dawg,

You can use the rest of that case of silicone that you have to spray for wasps ;D. 

IMERC

Quote from: WDH on August 29, 2018, 07:22:33 AM
Dawg,

You can use the rest of that case of silicone that you have to spray for wasps ;D.  

now you want to turn those wasps into slippery little buggers...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

customsawyer

I find this interesting. Both companies I have bought equipment from have recommended I use W-D 40 on my equipment. When I mention some of what you folks are talking about, I get raised I brows.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

WD-40 never dries (and similarly for some other lubricants), so it traps (or attracts) dirt.

Did I ever tell you that when I was consulting in N.C.,  one issue was oily looking spots on a few pieces of lumber.  I investigated.  I found that the yard crew would place their lunches on top of a lumber stack, in a kiln in the 4x4 space, to keep them hot.  They used paper bags and fried chicken was popular.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Chop Shop

Does anyone here use a UHMV type of plastic on their feed tables? 

Low friction, no waxes, oils, sprays etc and no rust.

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

teakwood

How does it work? do you have fotos?

i really have problems with the high humidity here and the cast iron tables
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

pineywoods

My woodmaster 718 has the UHMV overlay I kike it
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Southside

Quote from: teakwood on September 11, 2018, 08:46:32 AM
How does it work? do you have fotos?

i really have problems with the high humidity here and the cast iron tables
It's basically a sheet of plastic that sits on the bed of the planer.  You can paint the cast iron and never have to touch it again as this is the surface that lumber slides on.  They work really well.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Teakwood, you're looking for UHMW... ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. I've used it at 1/4" thick on glueup tables and up to 3/4" thick for the faces of hold downs and jigs, handy stuff. It does wear faster than cast iron if accuracy is important for long runs. Rust never sleeps.

OutlawB52

Thank You Sponsors!