iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

for those that have a pond,...

Started by moosehunter, August 24, 2018, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

If you keep the shore trimmed how do you do it?
I use a Stihl (I think it is a FS 45) trimmer with a metal tri-blade that does a great job of cutting everything in its path. The problem is that running it kills my back with all the bending to reach the waterline.
What do you use to keep the weeds and cattails at bay?
Chemicals are a absolute no.
We do use barley straw in the pond, that really helps with plants in the pond.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

gspren

I use a hedge trimmer attachment on my Stihl Combi, it doesn't throw stuff like a blade or strings and then I use a rake to pull out anything that fell in. I don't know if that's better but it's what I do.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

garyfg

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

LeeB

Quote from: Papa1stuff on August 25, 2018, 05:15:33 AM
wait till your 83 ;D

OK, I'll take your advise. If I ever get a pond, I'll wait until I'm 83 to trim it. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DelawhereJoe

Someone on here, I can't remember who, would chain 2 long pipes/poles from there tractor bucket and suspend an old push mower from the end of it to mow around there pond.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

florida

I have a small pond with steep banks and have the same problem keeping it trimmed. I've found that working from the middle of the bank and sweeping the trimmer sideways to the bank is easiest and least tiring. Alternately I try to get one of my sons or my SIL to do it!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

mike_belben

When youre 83 you wont need to trim it, you'll need to log it.  
Praise The Lord

Magicman

The worst thing that I did at my pond was planting Cypress trees.  Spraying will not be "out" for me because I will have to kill all of the roots when the trees come down....very soon.

Cypress knees are bad dudes.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I let my pond have the woodsy look  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lxskllr

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 25, 2018, 03:00:39 PM
I let my pond have the woodsy look  :)
I don't have a pond, and most people wouldn't like my laissez faire management style, but when I find myself fighting nature, I question my goals and tactics, then see where I can adjust to make my life easier. Options for me would be letting some of it grow wild(cattails are attractive, and food!), then keep a small portion clear for whatever(view, fishing, boat launch...). Maybe split the difference and selectively cut to keep it semi wild. Lots of options if you aren't going for a Southern Living cover.

My overall philosophy is nature always wins, and will outlast me. If I can change myself to get along, it'll make things easier for all involved, and will probably be objectively better, if not subjectively.

DelawhereJoe

TKehl

Sheep would be better.  Goats prefer mostly leaves not grass.

We turn our cows in there periodically and goats to tame the herbacious growth.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Dump some tires, cinder blocks, shingles, glass and 55gal chemical drums around the perimeter.  Insist that this is modern industrial art.  And stand your ground on that.   

Your wife and neighbors will will ask that you fertilize instead of mow thereafter.  Problem solved.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Shooting coyotes that want to eat my chickens seems to keep the grass short around one of our ponds. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Leave it thick to make it harder for trespassers to fish  ;D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

No_Dude

Quote from: Southside logger on August 25, 2018, 10:53:53 PM
Shooting coyotes that want to eat my chickens seems to keep the grass short around one of our ponds.
At risk of sounding dumb, I dont get it  :) :)

Southside

A little poetic license there as in I have so many yotes after my chickens around the pond that the bullets keep the grass mowed. Obviously not quite that bad, but it sure is close to it. We are overrun with them at times. Middle of the day I have seen them come out and grab a bird, of course the only thing I have close by is a sharp stick when that happens.  >:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stuart Caruk

I use a Bobcat with a 5' wide brush cutter. For the tough to reach places I use my excavator with a flail mower on the end. Makes quick work of a tough job. I just upgraded to a bigger excavator so I could get AC in the summer.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

IMERC

brush cutter/mower heads for your excavator...
is there one for your loader?
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

DelawhereJoe

You can even get a giant hedge trimmer for a mini excavator.

Crusarius

I use my weedeater with strings most of the time. I would like to get a sickle bar mower and use that. Then I could just drive tractor around and cut everything off.

Corley5

Be careful with equipment around ponds.  My Grandpa just about rolled his 300 Farmall into his pond clipping around it with his sickle mower.  A back tire fell through into a beaver tunnel in the bank.  He knew to throttle up and claw out.  If he'd have pushed in the clutch he'd have been in the water with the tractor on top of him.  Many machines have ended up in ponds with their operators hurt or killed. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

moodnacreek

I mow around my very small pond with a cub tractor with sickle bar. If I had a real pond it would be full of logs.

Thank You Sponsors!