iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circulating Pump Question

Started by Autocar, August 25, 2018, 03:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Ive had my outdoor furnace Green Wood over ten years should a fellow be looking or changing the propeller ? The propeller is some kind of rubber and I wondered if that would wear down over time and not push the water like it should.
Bill

E Yoder

I'd keep a spare pump on hand. Don't want to be left set on a cold night. But it could last another 10 years.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

hedgerow

I have 10 pumps on my system and have only lost 1 pump in ten years and that was in the first three months of getting the system up and going. I run mind year around but just three of the pumps in the off season heating. 

mike_belben

Does it have a little rubber fanwheel inside with some wiper blade sort of wings.. Kinda like a vane pump but with no impellor or vanes, just a single piece starfish.  ? ?

I had 3 of those style harbor freight circulator pumps tear up pretty fast.  Id never trust it to heat my home.  Taco 007 or forget it.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I've found that a complete pump can be had on line for about the same that I can source a cartridge locally.  Grundfos is the only way to go.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ButchC

There are widely varying reports on how long pumps last and I suspect that most of it is people dont realize what they are buying and some manufacturers installing the right pumps and others selling pumps made of the cheapest materials.  Misapplication can certainly shorten pump life both sizing and materials used. I have had the same TACO 007 and 011 bronze bronze (impeller/housing) pumps for 12 years. Some pumps (most of the ebay cheapies) are plastic impeller and not made for hot water service. Also people seem to have the notion that going a bit big is good and it is absolutely not the case. 

I bought two spares after year four and I suspect that just having them in sitting here on the shelf  is a good bit of the reason that I have had zero issues,, ;)
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

E Yoder

I've had the best success with B&G and Grundfos. But a lot of pumps fail from cavitation, mineral buildup, etc., things that have nothing to do with the brand of pump. Rather, a poorly designed system or bad water quality.
Bigger isn't always better is definitely true as was mentioned.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Autocar

I guess I need a back up pump thanks everyone !
Bill

woodmills1

13 years my pump broke all its veins.  I thought my exchanger was plugged with no flow. New cartridge back to heat.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LittleJohn

I would definitely recommend having a spare pump, even it is an online CHEAP-o.  Because they always seem to fail at the worse time possible, 5 minutes after store closes on a holiday weekend, in my experience; on the coldest day of the year/decade/eon.

Now that being said, typically ways to tell if you have an issue in with a radiant system is if it makes noise - always a bad sign, or cold/cool pipes.

Closed loops systems are typically a little easier on pumps, as there is minimal sediment/oxidation/junk in the heating medium.  Open loop systems have the ever changing chemicals to inhibit rust and an endless supply of oxygen to chew on parts - plus its easier to cavitate a pump in an open loop

Thank You Sponsors!