iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

F.O.G. Wood

Started by bwstout, September 20, 2018, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwstout

I found this wood in a pile that the Texas DOT piled up a couple of years ago. I had left it out side to where it would spalt. When I first got it I thought I was Sweet Gum the bark looks like it. It was very heavy when it was first cut. I like to put the name of the wood on the bottom of the bowls that I turn but I do not know what this wood is. It has the texture and feel of Sycamore but it has growth rings not the checker board square. The color is not real good in this picture but it is kind of pink

home built mill

WDH

Looks like it might be pecan. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bwstout

I have a lot of pecan will check that out funny never dawn on me at this stage in live any Dawn is great ;D
home built mill

bwstout

I check it doses not appear to be pecan, It doses not have the tale-tale evidences of "Pecan-Crete". It turns easy and sands like cherry. Here is a pick of a piece with the bark still on it. I wetted the end but not sure that help any.  The bark is thin and look like sweetgum bark.

home built mill

WDH

The bark looks a bit like red maple.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bwstout

thanks for the information. It is really pretty wood after the finish is put on. About all I know about trees here in East TX is pine, cedar and oaks of different kind some cheery and black walnut and more sweetgum than pine. My area is called the "East Tx Piiney Woods". It might have came from someone's yard it found it in a brush pile the state was going to burn.
home built mill

mike_belben

Im thinking red maple on that bark scrap too.  And the noodles on your lathe bed.

Plus those huge growth rings.  That looks like it was an open area tree that tapped into a septic or downspout etc.  The one next to my house had half inch rings from being over fed.  The butt cut of yours looks redder than here in TN though.  

Did it smell kinda sweet when you were turning, light fermenting smell like yeast or cider going hard?  Thats what red maple splitting smells like in summer.
Praise The Lord

bwstout

thanks Mike yes it did, I should have cut the end off again so it would show up better. So maple it is .
home built mill

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!