The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

charles mann

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Texas Ranger

DelawhereJoe

Aside from being mounted on a motor vehicle you could use that here to hunt groundhogs, providing it only semi-auto.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Chuck White

Just wondering, Are feral hogs "safe" and "palletable" table fare?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

I find the ones on my property to be nasty.  They can taste gamy, but the biggest issue for me is that the meat on adult hogs tends to be very tough. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Most likely the tough, and gamey is from all the running that they seem to do!

It would likely change if there was a way to pen them in for a while before butchering them!

I think from a safety standpoint, trichinosis would be the biggest concern!  Cook well done!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timberking

Had hogs all over my bow stand till the acorns started falling.  They are quite tasty.  If they smell rank I let them lay.  Sows and boars under 100lbs get eaten.  Only way I cook them is wrapped in bacon and seasoning usually in a covered pan on the smoker for 8-12 hours.  Comes off pork pudding.

barbender

Was it just me or was that shooter taking some unsafe shots toward buildings and over ridgelines?
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

I think most states prohibit transporting live feral hogs off your property so I guess you'd have to fatten them on site.

I ran into an old HS classmate in N. Fla back in August and she introduced me to her husband and somehow we got to talking about wild hogs there and he showed me some videos on his phone about his hog traps. Evidently he uses a system of heavy elevated wire mesh traps hooked to a game camera and wireless system. He can see how many hogs are in the trap and trigger the release of the trap from his phone. He said he typically catches 20+ hogs at a time. Evidently they do not pay attention to the raised trap and he can use it over and over without them getting used to it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Runningalucas

Quote from: barbender on October 22, 2018, 04:12:41 PM
Was it just me or was that shooter taking some unsafe shots toward buildings and over ridgelines?
Boy if he didn't, then he sure knows that land, and perils like the back of his hand..... Yet again, with the way he was cranking off some of the rounds, what appears to be just a little too high, may end up hitting someone a couple miles away.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

DPatton

Yes there were some very high risk shots taken in that video. I find it completely unacceptable that this shooter is firing away like there's nothing down range. I'm all for being able to shoot em with a high powered rifle but this video is a perfect example why more and more states are going away from rifle hunting and imposing regulations limiting rifle hunting or doing away with it all together.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

barbender

Yeah, a rifle round fired over the horizon like that could travel a long ways. Don't want to pat myself on the back, but I think I could've made a few more pigs squeal in those situations, too😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Agreed - he was approaching the "spray and pray" point a couple of times.  Really not something that should be broadcast for the world to see no matter how well he knows the land in my opinion.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ESFted

Agreed on the reckless shooting observation. What might mitigate is if he owns the land and buildings, or if he is shooting something like the 300 Blackout, which bleeds a lot of energy past 500yards.  Texas ranches can go for miles, if that's the case and he owns it all, then any consequences just affect him.  I watch a lot of these night vision hunts and feel for the farmers/ranchers affected by the population explosion of wild hogs.  At the same time, these are intelligent animals just doing what nature intended for them to do and if they have to die I prefer it be done with minimal suffering.  If you can afford to shoot them you can afford to put them down quickly and humanely.  Ammo doesn't cost that much.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Texas Ranger

a hunting license is needed, no limit, no season.  There are millions of them here, and agriculture damage is tremendous.

Thank You Sponsors!