iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling to a paper mill

Started by Svenerable, December 19, 2018, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svenerable

I have been approached by a buyer from a paper mill about selling some of my timber.  How are these transactions usually handled. I'm in .Ohio.

dgdrls

Good morning and welcome,

like all sales you have to know what you have and what its worth.
If you don't have the experience to make an assessment on your own 
you can start here

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/landownerassistance

D

Claybraker

When I've sold directly to a mill, they cut me a check, and have a period of time (18 -24 months) to get their timber off my property.

Do you have a management plan?  Would harvesting  the cull trees (pulpwood) fit in your long term objectives?

Brian w

I am a logger in southeast Ohio I also have logged timber for some mills around. Yes they will just cut a check but they normally only pay for what they are interested in. Which is not always the whole tree that they are wanting to cut. Myself I pay for the logs and the wood both. If you are in my area and interested in selling your timber to a good honest logger I would be more than happy to come take a look at it and try to work out a fair deal with you.

BuckeyeAaron

Ohio Service Forester is a great place to start to talk harvest needs, prescriptions, and general technical advice.  Their visits are free and they can offer an unbiased opinion as to how a harvest will reflect your management goals.  They do not discuss timber value and if you decide to execute a sale, the Service Forester cannot mark the timber, collect bids, or adminsiter the sale.  For that portion you will need a consulting forester or work with a logger/buyer directly.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Ron Scott

Yes, seek out the services of the local Conservation District Forester or a professional Consulting Forester servicing your area. A management plan for your property may be your first order of business if you do not have one.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!