iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting started on the winter logging

Started by Quebecnewf, January 07, 2019, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaproperty

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 04, 2019, 03:51:36 PM

Cut a nice birch today . Should square 10" clean. Not the best or the biggest of these that I've cut but a nice one none the less

Quebecnewf
Nice little twitch.  By the way I am from Cape Breton.  Almost neighbours. 
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

thecfarm

They are all nice ones. Anything that brings in money is nice.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

I've cut a few birch logs over the years and it really makes you appreciate the difference between guys who log mostly softwood (me) and the guys who work in mostly hardwoods. It's a whole different ballgame . They are heavy , and when you deal with birch in winter , slippery . 

I have cut many trees in my life and approach them all with care . Birch I approach with extra care . They can be really tricky to fall with all those large limbs sticking out every which way . 

My hat is of to guys that hand cut hardwoods all day for a living . Some of those big maples and oaks I have seen would be a big pucker job for me .

Stay safe guys 

Quebecnewf 

Stephen1

I saw a lot of large EWP and I agree that the hardwoods are a whole different ballgame, especially when dealing with them with out heavy equipment.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Quebecnewf

Cut this nice ( I think ) birch burl today . Should yield some nice " cookies " . Time will tell

Quebecnewf

g_man

I enjoy your photos and find the way you work very interesting. I cut a lot of fir here. I was wondering how many board feet you figure will be in you 600 logs. I average between 25 and 30 bf per log (10 and 12 footers) and 60 to 70 bf per tree but it varies a lot. I also have stump rot to deal with on most trees more than 50 or 60 years old. You have never mentioned stump rot I don't think. Is that a problem up there also. 

gg

Quebecnewf

My logs run a little smaller I think . I cut 8 fits as well as 10 and 12. Could have bigger yield but I try to take all the tree up to 5" dia.

I do not run in to much butt rot in my area . It seems to be a common thing in a lot of areas though with fir.

I use a figure of around 30 logs per thousand BF. This is saleable lumber . There is lots of firring strips and such that comes of the edges and while I sell that as well over time I consider that an extra and do not figure it into my yield because it Varies so much in both in yield and selling price 

Quebecnewf

g_man

Thanks - so a little different than here. I am always curious on how other fir sites produce compared to mine. You do good up there. Out cut me in a winter that's for sure. Happy logging.

gg

thecfarm

@g_man,you need a OWB to burn those butts. :D  :D
I know I mentioned it,I only had about 2 acres with nice fir. The other 148,for the most part,looks like yours. Now when doing firewood,I cut down all the fir I come too. Even at 4 inches across,the rot is there. I have a lot I want to cut down this year,it's in a wet hole,so they are dead. I had my land logged about 6-7 years ago,he went into one of those wet spots and did a cutting and knocked all the dead fir down. There was enough dead fir to last me a winter in there. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

Wasn't logging but spent Saturday moving building materials across a lake for a cabin.  I built the sleigh about 20 years ago and it still works like a charm!

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Stephen Alford

Great thread QN....keep er comin.  :)     Dustintheblood....  I take it your a rather lanky lad.... :D   nice pics.
logon

Quebecnewf

Well were mostly done with the logging I guess for this season . 400 on the bank to raft home later and 300 home at the mill . Most likely start sawing a bit in the coming week if weather permits.

Last few we cut .

Quebecnewf 

Magicman

The lumber that you saw, does it go to a local market there or what?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Title will now read,getting started on the logs we cut down this winter.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Magicman on March 16, 2019, 11:20:57 AM
The lumber that you saw, does it go to a local market there or what?
Local market 90% . My own use 10%. Mostly 2x material up to 2x10 . In lengths of 8/10/12 . The 2x4 and 6 I dress four sides the 2x8/10 I sell rough from the saw .
I also do small jobs for people using my own lumber .saw the lumber build the shed/ patio etc etc.
First job this spring when snow melts a bit more saw some full 2 full 8" stringers and make a new set of exterior steps for a senior couple to their entrance . 
Interesting work because I love building and working with wood.
Quebecnewf 

47sawdust

Quebecnewf,
By the looks of it your the only mill around.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 16, 2019, 06:47:01 PM
Quebecnewf,
By the looks of it your the only mill around.
No there are three more mills in town but these guys are just cutting a few logs for their own use . Some years they don't cut any . A few chain saw mills as well but all small operations . 
Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Thought you guys might like this pic of a big spruce we cut . ( me and my BIL) .

This is one of four trees we cut ( spruce ) . They were all about 60 ft long . They are sawing them on site into 2x material for framing and such. Using chain saw mills . The wood is incredible . Tight grain no knots . Too good for 2x material  but that's what they use . 

Wish they grew like that in our area .

A fun few days never the less

Quebecnewf 

Magicman

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 22, 2019, 05:40:23 AMWish they grew like that in our area
That is a good stem no matter whose area it is in.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Nice logs! Some good seed tree genetics.
~Ron

Stephen

Tight grain spruce, clear, and 16 rings per inch or more, quarter sawn demands a huge price for musical instruments. (Like thousands $$ for a few small boards!) (Limited market though).
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Quebecnewf

Did some checking into that type of use for these spruce. I'm sure some of them would make the grade . The thing is the distance and terrain we have to travel over to get them means you would most likely just take the butt of the tree and leave the rest . I cannot cut one of these big trees and leave 70 % of it on the ground to rot . 

The price for the butt would have to be high enough to pay to bring out the rest of the tree as well . 

There is also the problem of sawing one down and finding out it is not guitar quality . There fore the good ones have to compensate for those as well. 

It would be a learning process so at first you might be cutting more " no good" ones than " good" ones . 

The trees are big so each tree generates lots of big logs . With snowmobile and the rough country ,distances, high cost of gas,changing snow conditions, etc etc . Not sure it's a money making option. 

Don't get me wrong I'd love to try it if I had a market .

Needs more research on my part .

Quebecnewf 

Gearbox

For music wood the buyer comes out and cores the tree then there own logger cuts and hauls . My great nephew was working on an island off south Alaska . Doing inventory and there job was to spot music wood Sitka Spruce .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Quebecnewf

Still cutting a few . Had a late order for 3 logs 6x6x24'

These were slabed of two sides and delivered to the customer yesterday . 

Part of an order of 6x6x8/10' I am doing . Like sawing 6x6. Throw on the log four cuts and on to the next one .

Quebecnewf 

47sawdust

Quebecnewf,
What is the capacity of your mill?
I like cutting 6x6 as well.I have a lot of 10'' spruce that is well suited for that.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!