iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1830's 4 room log cabin near Louisville needs some tlc

Started by Duce, March 02, 2019, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duce

I have a full 2 story 4 room log cabin on my farm that needs some logs replaced due to rot before it ends up collapsing.  Its beyond my time and ability to do it. Dose anyone know someone in the area reputable and dose good work in the area?

WV Sawmiller

I assume you are in Louisville KY. If so you might reach out to the Bowe team with Barnyard Builders fame on TV and see if they are interested. They are based out of Lewsisburg WV and look to be about 360 miles away. I have seen examples of their work in our area and they do very good work. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

You can put your location in your profile and it will show up on the left in each post.  Always helps giving advice when you know where someone is located.

Sound like you need someone experienced to do an evaluation of what is needed, what is good and what isn't.  Someone to figure out what's involved.  Can you post some picture of your cabin?  Logs can either be replaced buy logs from other cabins, or new ones can be made.  I've been doing some hewing lately so now I know that a few replacement logs wouldn't be that bad to hew.  I've been sawing them on my sawmill first leaving 1/2 inch extra on the faces I'm going to hew with an axe.  
Here's a link to what I've been doing.
Hewin' in the mornin' in General Woodworking
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Duce

I'm in Indiana 30min from down town Louisville. I don't think my pockets are deep enough to go long distance to get some help. 

Brad_bb

Consider contacting some timberframe companies.  They sometimes do log work too.  I'm NOT home now to check my Timberframer's guild directory for timberframe companies in your area.  I know Grand Oaks Timber Frame is near Nashville.  There are some others if you google timber frame Kentucky or timber frame tennessee.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Duce

Thanks I will look into it.
  It needs to full length logs replaced whet water splashed up from the back porch and rotted them out.  One is the beam the floor joists for the upstairs are notched into.  It need a Dutchman in a few other places. I plan on doing the re chinking.    I need to do something to protect the logs because my pockets are not deep enough to have it redone every10 years. Maybe sidding.  My great aunt spent 75k on in 07 I don't have who she used contact info. Also they did some questionably poor work. 

Mad Professor

Maybe some longer eaves would cut down the splash on the walls.

Duce

Thank You Sponsors!