iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help me pick a sawmill

Started by gonefishin, March 18, 2019, 11:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonefishin

Hey everyone, first post here. I've been researching here for awhile. 

Anyway I'm really wanting to buy a sawmill so I can mill my 3/4x6x8 wood plank ceiling and a few other projects including 2x6x12 pine lumber for a workshop. I have 20 acres and will be cutting misc pine and a few hardwoods for my building projects. Some of my large pine trees are 24-28" in diameter. My hardwoods are 16-20". 

I would really need to stay under $2500. 

I have been looking at the hm122 because it's new and in my budget. But should I consider something used with a few more features and larger cutting capacity? My largest trees wouldn't fit on the hm122 and that's the main reason i feel like it's not the best choice for me. 

Are there any other mills in my price range with a larger cut? And if I look at used ones are there certain models I should look for? 

Thanks

Crossroads

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure some guys with knowledge of what your looking for will be along soon. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Welcome. If this is basically a one time need I'd suggest contacting a local portable/mobile sawyer to come cut your lumber. If on-going requirements exist what kind of support equipment and experience do you already have? Might be worth visiting some local mills in operation to see how they work and the pros and cons of each. Some people buy a bigger mill than they need full time, use it to fill their needs then sell it. If properly maintained most name brand mill should their value pretty well. That is a factor to consider too. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gonefishin

I have already contacted a couple. I'm looking at several hundred dollars worth of their labor... I am one of those people that basically refuse to rent anything or pay someone to do work for me... Probably why I have a shop full of tools that get used maybe once a year haha... I'm still considering 1 guy that said he would cut for $60 hr plus $25 per blade and fuel surcharge for bringing the mill to my house. Or he would cut on halves. 

I'm building a 36x60 shop in the next year (doing foundation work now) And I need 1100 square ft of plank ceiling material for my house. Also if I had a mill I would probably use it for all the lumber to build a master suit addition to our house... and no telling what else. 

I have 2 tractors here at my place for skidding and loading logs. I don't have a front end loader, but i have a gin pole for my 3 pt. I have chainsaws and all the other odds and ends... I am a mechanic by trade so i can work on stuff too... 

Southside

A word of caution, you really want to have some sort of proper drying set up for any lumber you use in your home, be that a solar kiln or having a kiln operator dry it for you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tylerltr450

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 19, 2019, 12:41:25 AM
  Welcome. If this is basically a one time need I'd suggest contacting a local portable/mobile sawyer to come cut your lumber. If on-going requirements exist what kind of support equipment and experience do you already have? Might be worth visiting some local mills in operation to see how they work and the pros and cons of each. Some people buy a bigger mill than they need full time, use it to fill their needs then sell it. If properly maintained most name brand mill should their value pretty well. That is a factor to consider too. Good luck.
I would have to agree with WV Sawmiller, I would suggest contacting a local sawyer. By the time you buy a mill get good at using it and understand the quirks with cutting lumber you would have already exhausted and probably spent triple probably more if you consider your time valuable.
People always ask me about sawing and how hard it is and I tell them the biggest thing is time, you will have so much time  into cutting logs you cant do anything else.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Magicman

Your budget is more in line for a "hobby" sawmill but your projected need seems to be much more.  The "bells and whistles" on the higher priced sawmills do much more than make noise.  While they make sawing and log handling much easier, accurate, and safer, they also command a much better resale value and market.  I just looked through Sawmill Exchange and did not find anything that met your budget.  Bad for you but proves my point.

I would advise that you carefully look through all of the sawmill sponsors listed along the left margin.  You just might find something that will suit your needs, be relatively maintenance free, hold it's value, and have a nice resale value if/when you no longer need it.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!