iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on Woodmaster 725

Started by A-z farmer, December 13, 2018, 07:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

I received my packet from Woodmaster on the 725 planer.we have been using a 15inch grizzly for many years but the Woodmaster looks awesome.
I am a-farmer and not professional wood workers but during the winter months I work with my 91 year old dad on wood projects .
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the 725 with the spiral head and pro pac .
I plane mostly cherry and white oak .
I did not even know about Woodmaster until seeing them here on FF.
Zeke

Southside

They are an excellent machine, and for the money a lot more that what you get from Grizzly.  I was concerned about the whole "weight" comparison that you always read about but I have not had any issues with mine.  I do have the conventional head as I sharpen my own blades, so I can't speak to the sprial head.  I have done some finish work with mine when stuff is too big for my 4 head, but mostly use it as a pre-planer to make sure everything going into the 4 head is pre-sized and it eats the lumber up. You can get a continuous "farm duty" motor for it which I did.  I run a lot of 16' material through it so I have the add on roller fences and then added another independent 10' of skate rollers to the infeed and out feed.  Basically drop a board on the rollers and start it into the machine, it does the rest.  The variable speed feature is very nice too.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

A-z farmer

Thank you for the feed back Southside Logger
I am going to call Woodmaster today about the upgrades you suggested.
We have had wide board cherry and oak stacked in the barn for many decades-just waiting to be turned into tables.
The knowledge and information here on FF is just amazing .

bkaimwood

I've always wondered the same thing. With the grizzly being almost twice the cost, and a powermatic being 3 times the cost. We do a lot of heavy duty big hardwoods, so it's a concern. I can say that after our last g0454zw grizzly I don't think I'd buy another grizzly product. I know some guys love them. They say you either get a good one or a bad one. We got a bad one..no, two of them...
Sorry for the tangent
bk

alan gage

I got a used 718 this summer. It came with the pro-pack and I upgraded it to the spiral head.

At the time I had no interest in the pro-pack but I decided to do some flooring and the rip saw function worked great. I think I'll get a third blade for it.

The planer functions well but I'm getting a lot of snipe at the ends of the board, even if I keep the end of the board raised. Not a big deal yet since everything I'm running through needs the ends trimmed anyway but the snipe comes in about 5" so you lose quite a bit of material to it. I'll play around with feed roller tension and see if that makes difference. They feel like they might be set too tight but I haven't measured yet. From the reading I've done snipe seems to be a common issue.

The feed rate is slow (is the 725 faster than the 718?). Whether or not this bothers you I suppose depends on how much material you're running through. It's not a big deal just doing a board or two but when I was running a few hundred board feet of flooring through it gets tedious and I kept wishing it was faster.

But wishing it was faster and being willing to spend the money to buy something faster are two different things.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

pineywoods

The snipe problem is not unique to woodmaster planers. Real easy to fix. Need an adjustable roller stand adjusted to a height at least 1/4 inch higher than the infeed table and placed 4 to 6 feet upstream. That will take care of the leading end snipe. Do the same thing on the outfeed side to prevent snipe on the trailing end. The infeed and outfeed tables are made of stamped sheet metal and they will bend downward under heavy load, causing the ends of the feed stock to rise as the wood contacts the cutters resulting in snipe. After years of abuse, the downward bend may become permanent which makes the situation worse.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

alan gage

Quote from: pineywoods on December 14, 2018, 11:23:17 AM
The snipe problem is not unique to woodmaster planers. Real easy to fix. Need an adjustable roller stand adjusted to a height at least 1/4 inch higher than the infeed table and placed 4 to 6 feet upstream. That will take care of the leading end snipe. Do the same thing on the outfeed side to prevent snipe on the trailing end. The infeed and outfeed tables are made of stamped sheet metal and they will bend downward under heavy load, causing the ends of the feed stock to rise as the wood contacts the cutters resulting in snipe. After years of abuse, the downward bend may become permanent which makes the situation worse.
Shouldn't lifting the end of the board when going in/coming out of the machine accomplish the same thing? I'm diligent about this but still end up with snipe much of the time. Can lifting too high work against you?
I guess if Woodmaster users tell me they've eliminated snipe I've got some more work to do to get it figured out. Thanks.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Southside

Are you feeding one board at a time or one touching the one in front of it? Keeping the ends touching will eliminate snipe. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: Southside logger on December 14, 2018, 11:59:40 AM
Are you feeding one board at a time or one touching the one in front of it? Keeping the ends touching will eliminate snipe.
One at a time since I need to catch them on the outfeed since I don't have a good table setup where I am now.
I've heard that will stop sniping but I've never understood why. Is the friction of the ends touching enough to keep the leading and trailing edges from rising when they're only being contacted by one roller? Doesn't seem like I should work but everyone says it does.
Alan

Southside

Exactly, the knife can't lift the lumber away from the table as it has the board in front of it preventing it from happening.  You will get snipe on the lead end of the first board and end of the last board, but nothing in the middle if you keep the ends butted up tight as you go, machine brand makes no difference, it's  just the physics of it.  It's the same thing with my 4 head machine. 

For your outfeed extension you can just use a length of lumber that the material slides along so you don't have to play catch with yourself, that game gets old fast.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: Southside logger on December 14, 2018, 03:01:47 PM
Exactly, the knife can't lift the lumber away from the table as it has the board in front of it preventing it from happening.  You will get snipe on the lead end of the first board and end of the last board, but nothing in the middle if you keep the ends butted up tight as you go, machine brand makes no difference, it's  just the physics of it.  It's the same thing with my 4 head machine.

For your outfeed extension you can just use a length of lumber that the material slides along so you don't have to play catch with yourself, that game gets old fast.  
I'll start trying that. My planer is setup in a temp location for now so I haven't been taking the time to make any sort of in/outfeed other than a stand roller. Can't wait to get it in a real shop.
One thing that I think might make the Woodmaster worse in terms of snipe is that the feed rollers are farther from the cutter head for clearance when using it as a rip saw.
Alan

Southside

Quote from: alan gage on December 14, 2018, 03:13:34 PMOne thing that I think might make the Woodmaster worse in terms of snipe is that the feed rollers are farther from the cutter head for clearance when using it as a rip saw.

It would create a longer snipe as a result since more board is free before it hits the second feed roller but it does not make it more prone to snipe.  More than a few times I have run several thousand feet at a time through my machines and the only time I have a problem is if I am not paying attention and let one get ahead of me.    
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

A-z farmer

I placed my order with Mark from Woodmaster and got all the upgrades that south side logger suggested.It should be shipping sometime after the new year which is fine because I am hoping that the ground freezes up to be able to get into the woods .
I mentioned that I found out about Woodmaster from the forestry forum.
Thank you 
Zeke
Ps. the Mrs says I am like a kid in a penny candy store when I get on the forestry forum .So many ideas and choices but soo little time .

Southside

Congratulations!!! I will wait to hear from you to say why but I wonder if your un-crating will go like mine did. Nothing bad at all, not even close to bad, but let us know.... :)
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WLC

Congratulations!!  I await delivery on a 718 with the spiral head and propack.  UPS dropped off the planer knives the other day and there is another package en route for tomorrow delivery.  Hoping I'll see it before Christmas. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

A-z farmer

That is awesome WLC I got the spiral head on the recommendation of my uncle who is a restoration architect.But he also thinks the only two kinds of wood is cherry and white oak and the rest fire wood go figure .

Zeke

WLC

Zeke, I took delivery of my 718 today.  Haven't got it all together yet but it is a nice looking machine.  I will tell you this, if you have to manhandle it into your shop, arrange some help.  They are heavy! 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

A-z farmer

That is great WLC.I cannot wait to see how it works for you on your wood projects.I do not lift any thing heavy anymore after four hernia surgeries over the years .I use hoists and fork lifts now .
Zeke

David Freed

Quote from: alan gage on December 14, 2018, 10:11:03 AM
The feed rate is slow (is the 725 faster than the 718?). Whether or not this bothers you I suppose depends on how much material you're running through. It's not a big deal just doing a board or two but when I was running a few hundred board feet of flooring through it gets tedious and I kept wishing it was faster.

But wishing it was faster and being willing to spend the money to buy something faster are two different things.

Alan
I special ordered a few things when I got my 718. The salesman actually transferred me to the shop foreman to see if they could build it like I wanted. One thing was putting the 725 feeder on the 718 machine.

That was a few years ago. I don't know if they would still custom build them now or not.

Thank You Sponsors!