iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Turned to rain at the end of the day. We had less an an inch of snow, so I used the snow scoop around the front door and lower driveway under the porch. Still suppose to get more storm, but starting with rain. Foggy here and no wind.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

30° and a thick winter fog.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

After a unusual warm Fall, I overheard a Preacher say that he thought Heaven would be a constant 65 deg F.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Pulphook

No preacher hereabouts but it has been a strange Fall: chill, snow, sleet, freezing rain then plain jane rain, then heatwave into the 40's F with fog, finally now in the 20's with wind. Fine for harvesting next winter's wood while avoiding wet boots in the small pools.
What we'd really like is hard ground, some snow, little wind for felling, sun.
Maybe that preacher needs to come Downeast. :)
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Al_Smith

Nothing spectacular .Mid  20's at night,upper 30's at day .Fire wood soaked like a  sponge .Aha,fill the firewood box  full of wood  and dry it out with a window fan .Should have thought of that a long time ago,like 30 years .Slow on the up take some times . ;D

lxskllr

Pleasant day. 40° and overcast, with a moderate breeze. Just about perfect working weather  :^)

thecfarm

13° here now. Yesterday the wind was blowing at what felt like temps in the single numbers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

.........or cut 6 months ago and stack under porch in drying racks to begin with. Much nicer than fishing in snow or wading it. ;D

15F this morning. Wheel barrel loaded up for today's wood off the drying racks outside. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crowhill

9F yesterday 5am, 20F today 5am. Yesterday evening wasn't bad, had to change the up/down switch on my B20 (2nd time in 18 years) and I could actually feel those pesky little screws! Sky is clear, full of stars hopes for a warm day to do some small repairs on the log dog today.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

SwampDonkey

5F this morning I believe, no wind and lots of frost on the trees.

50F last year this time. :D

chevytaHOE5674

18° for a high today, supposed to drop below zero tonight. 6" of snow overnight, 50 some inches for the season.

pep

-28C  1'-1/2 snow on ground.  Only 5" ice on small lakes.  The big lakes are open, but maybe not after last night.😳😳
Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Pulphook

Flurries messing up a dropped birch to be bucked...broom work. Sun and in the mid 20's F ( not C ).
Under foot is still wet. Whining. :'(
State forester walked the lot with us yesterday for our Tree Growth Recertification info. Very informative about TSI, species diseases, and future commercial cutting. We have poor "bony" soil, slow regen dominated by spruce and fir, and need to cut Ash before they rot out.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

thecfarm

4° now,high noon 20.

tree-farmer

Bracing for 3 day snow storm, shuts the world down in our area. Got the snow plow on the tractor, generator on stand by and a spare bottle spirits and several days of fire wood in basement. I think we are good to go. Calling for up to 24 inch total, only get these type events about 3 times a year. Thankful for that.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

curdog

Getting ready for the snow apocalypse  or whatever the news media is calling it.  We're supposed to get about a foot of snow, but we usually get rain, sleet freezing rain mix in and cut down on hyped up totals... we'll see. I love snow, but I don't like it to stick around too long.  I want to see it and then go away...

Chuck White

This is our coldest morning, so far, we had -6° at 6:00AM.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

tree-farmer,24 inches!!!  That would slow us down too. 

SwampDonkey

0F this morning and only 5F at noon. ;D

lxskllr

35° and a little hazy. Not crystal clear skies. Nice day. Got some saw time in, but tweaked my back a little. The oak project is finishing up. Got some ground work for the Poulan , splitting, and the bench cut left. Gonna miss the work.

thecfarm

I don't like them singles numbers. But high noon might be 20°.  :)  I have 6° now.

Old Greenhorn

Temps here are way below normal for this time of year and I am just getting used to it. Now there is a warm front coming through at the end of the week and I have a GOL class coming up on Saturday. I was worried about standing around with cold feet, now it looks like 48 and an 80% chance of rain. That should be fun..... or not. 23F this morning and just waiting for it to get light so I can get to work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

0F again this morning, sunny though. ;D

Al_Smith

It isn't Maine or North Dakota  but it is 15 degrees .No wind ,not that bad .Wood stove seems to have a healthy appetite .Like a baby bird,feed me feed me .

Chuck White

Just 26° at 6:00 this morning!

Now, it's still 26° and the wind has picked up!

No real reason to go outside, so the computer and the recliner look like comfortable spots for today!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!