iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2018 Timber Frame Workshop in Ft. Calhoun, NE

Started by klpauba, January 18, 2018, 11:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klpauba

Hello Fellow Timber Framers!

I will be hosting a Timber Frame Workshop this spring that will be taught by Jim Rogers.  We are offering a 3-day or 5-day event.  The focus of the workshop is to teach square rule layout and cutting of the basic and common joinery found in a Timber Frame structure.  We will "fit up" bents and, if all goes well, we'll raise a small frame.

Lunch and snacks will be provided each day.

Any extra (above expenses) will be donated to the Forestry Forum.

3-day Workshop ($150/day):Saturday, 5/26 through Monday 5/28 (Memorial Day, observed) -- 8AM - 5PM
5-day Workshop ($125/day):Friday, 5/25 and continues thru Tuesday 5/29 -- 8AM - 5PM
Location:Fort Calhoun, Nebraska -- Just 15 miles north of Omaha, NE

Space is limited.  A deposit of $150 will reserve you a spot.

Jim_Rogers

I'm looking forward to this workshop.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

VictorH

Hey Kevin,  what will the project be for the workshop?

klpauba

Either a TF portico or a garden shed.  I'll be posting a drawing once it's decided.

kabin

Two questions:
1) Is this appropriate for a "hobbyist/woodworker" looking to learn some basic TF skills?
2) Assuming this is a BYOT (bring yer own tools), do you have a minimum tool list?

Thanks

Jim_Rogers

We will begin with the basics and it is a good workshop for any beginner.

Find below a timber framers suggested tool list.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

klpauba

Hello @kabin and welcome to the forum!

Yes, the workshop is tailored for a beginning TF'er to learn the basics but we don't hold back those with more experience.  Your woodworking background is helpful as you already know the importance of sharp tools and the safe way to use them.  This background isn't even necessary as Jim does an excellent job of enforcing topics of safety (along with other experienced attendees).  When I attended my first workshop with Jim, I probably had less experience with woodworking than you.

As far as the required tools, check out Jim's Post (which I link at 2018TFWorkshop - Reference).  Jim's post pretty much lists all of the tools you would possibly need.  To be honest, I have a subset of those listed.  Most important to me are a 1.5" chisel, mallet, crosscut saw (we'll have a few circular saws on hand but extras are always handy), combo and framer's square, pencils, carpenter's crayon(s), block &/or rabbet plane, ear plugs, safety glasses.  Most of us are willing to share our tools with those that can demonstrate proper care for them.  I will have a chain mortiser available for the workshop -- it's helpful to get some experience using one.

Please follow up with any other questions.  We have a couple more spaces available.

Thanks!

klpauba

The project for the workshop will be a 12x14 Dutch-style frame.  Since the image is a little fuzzy when formatted as a jpeg image, here's a PDF of the current Frame Design.  Each attendee will receive a printed set of 11"x17" dimensioned construction/shop drawings.

klpauba

Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough interest in the workshop so we have decided to cancel it.   We might offer it again in the fall over the Columbus Day weekend if there is sufficient interest.  If a fall workshop would work better for you and you have an interest in attending, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!