iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Educate me on ball bearings please

Started by Brad_S., March 06, 2019, 09:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

The bearings gave out on my vintage 8 inch Jet jointer. The part number listed in the manual is obsolete but I did get a cross reference on a replacement.
For a bb-6204vv bearing, Jet wants $41.75 each. I found bearings with the exact same numbers (minus the bb prefix) for $12-$16 on eBay. 

I am not overly mechanical and I'm not familiar with the wonderful world of ball bearings. I believe in equipment you often get what you pay for but can the Jet bearing really be worth $30 more or am I paying for the name?  Assuming Jet is trying to hose users, what are good brands of bearings that I should look for? Thank you in advance!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Southside

I have found cheap bearings to be just that - cheap bearings.  The dust seals will fail, they are short on internal grease, and the just don't last.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

see if you have an industrial supply house.  there is one in nearly every town.  ask buddies that do heating and air or other mechanical stuff.  They usually do not sell crud.  and will have them in stock or next day. we have Murphys and IDT.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Its been a long time since I replaced the spindle bearing on my Shop Smith 10er.  Those needed to have a 10,000 rpm rating.  The bb prefix is probably the speed rating.  Google speed rating for ball bearings and see what you find.  The jointer is probably going about 6,000 to 8,000 rpm (calculate from your pulleys and motor - 3450rpm?) and be sure to get a bearing rated at that speed.

Timkin (sp), SKF or SDK, forget which are good but lots of them are starting to no longer be made in the USA.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

AZ_builder

King bearing is who we use out here for odd ball or odds and ends stuff. They do a lot in the mining industry but have almost any size bearing you could need.

sawguy21

What doc said. Timken and SKF have good reputations but who knows where they are made now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

millwright

6204 is a standard really common size, get a good name brand and make sure it is a sealed unit, just be sure when you install it onto the shaft to push on the inner race only.

Brad_S.

Thank you all for the assistance. I now feel comfortable getting a brand-name bearing yet steering away from the cost of the jet bearing. Your help is appreciated!

Old Greenhorn

The 6204vv bearing is very common sealed bearing. It is rated for 13000 rpm. You can get it from a number of online suppliers, including amazon if that is your thing. But make sure you get a known name (like NSK or Timken) as their basic quality standards are higher than the average market sniper from overseas. It is 47 mm OD x 20mm ID x 14mm Wide.
Good Luck
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

Timken/Fafner  or most any bearing made in Japan.  Cheap bearings are ok for low speed shafts that are oversized. Don't put junk inside high speed machines.

Barebuttminer

BB-6204VV

The prefix is the manufacture
BB = Jet Industries Bearing Division (this bearing is most likely manufactured in Thailand)

The designation number is the industry standard code for construction type & size
6204 = single row deep groove ball bearing OD 47mm ID 20mm Width 14mm

The suffix is the seal & shield type code (some suffixes may also contain a grease type code)
VV = 2 fluoro rubber (FKM) seals
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

JB Griffin

If I wanted to fix it right I would only use timkin or koyo bearings, nothing else. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

blackfoot griz

I agree with the other replies that a 6204 is a very common bearing. Koyos are a good import, Timken and SKF being a bit better but a little more expensive. I used to work for Motion Industries and they are probably the largest distributor of industrial bearings in the US. If you Google them, there is probably a branch close to you and I would be amazed if they don't have a variety of 6204s on their shelf.

Brad_S.

Thank you all. I especially appreciate the explanation about the coding.

Thank You Sponsors!