iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Full vs semi chisel for dried white oak?

Started by metroplexchl, March 14, 2018, 12:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplexchl

I've got a pretty basic consumer chainsaw (Ryobi 3716) and I'll be cutting some notches out of well dried white oak beams.  Should I go semi or full chisel?

Ianab

As long as the beams are clean, a full chisel should cut faster. You likely will have to sharpen more often in dry hard wood, but as long as you don't hit anything more solid than dry oak, it will only need a couple of file stokes to keep the chain at 100%. 

Semi chisel is more forgiving in dirty wood. It's wont cut as fast, but you can go a bit longer before it's "dull".

Keeping a razor sharp chain is more important than how fancy your saw is.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: metroplexchl on March 14, 2018, 12:11:22 AM
I've got a pretty basic consumer chainsaw (Ryobi 3716) and I'll be cutting some notches out of well dried white oak beams.  Should I go semi or full chisel?
Metro, your 37cc saw only comes with a semi chisel 3/8 .050 L.P. chain.
The only chisel 3/8 L.P. chain available on the market is the Stihl 63PS3 chain to fit your saw.
The 63PS3 would be a good choice for durability over the chain that came with your saw. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Edit my last post::
There is now a full chisel 3/8" LOPro chain now available in North America.
It's branded Forestor   Chinese made and really low priced which doesn't reassure me that's it's good value.

Southside

If that's the same Forester products that sell kevlar lined gloves, chaps, etc - out of Missouri IIRC - then it is a good product line.  I have run some of their chain and bars as well, nothing wrong with either.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

Here I thought I was up on the latest. :D
Also found out that within the last year Archer chain out of China is now making a 3/8" Low Profile full chisel chain.

Thank You Sponsors!