iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAFaller

The rings stay on in the front. My front tires are still in good shape overall without any big cuts but the tread is worn to nothing. I run the studs in the winter or in the rocks, but those double diamonds just fill full of mud. Had to take them off when I did a big clearing job and was up to the axles. I dont like running in mud that deep, but when there is an excavator right behind you grubbing its not as big a deal.
It ain't easy...

Okrafarmer

Quote from: PAFaller on September 09, 2012, 08:32:03 AM
The rings stay on in the front. My front tires are still in good shape overall without any big cuts but the tread is worn to nothing. I run the studs in the winter or in the rocks, but those double diamonds just fill full of mud. Had to take them off when I did a big clearing job and was up to the axles. I dont like running in mud that deep, but when there is an excavator right behind you grubbing its not as big a deal.

What you just described is called routine logging in Maine, any time but winter. In winter of course, you hope to be able to stay on top of frozen ground for the most part. They dragged bottom logging my dad's place in September of '91.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

I missed the front chains in the picture.
Okrafarmer,sorry not all of Maine was like your Dad's place.  :(   I look at ALOT of logging jobs in Maine. Some I spend some time looking and some I leave very quickly.
If the guy I had cut my land started to make ruts even 6 inches deep,I would kick him off my land so quick he wouldn't even know what happened. I told him I have to get my tractor through the woods. And I told him I would kick him off my land too.He used alot of my trails too.I HATE ruts. My land is good land and I want to keep it that way. I went to check on one job of his while he was cutting. As I was walking up to him he was putting a bunch of brush and limbs in a soft spot so when the forwarder came through it would not sink in. That is one reason why I let him on my land. I have seen deep ruts on some land and I cross that logger off my list.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

People may be more sensitive to it these days. My dad didn't like the ruts, but he knew it was part of the price of admission, especially on his soil type. His solution was to buy a D-6 and fix the road a couple years later. He also used the D-6 to clear the stumps out of the clear cut area and build a pond. All things he had wanted to do anyway. His 2-ton John Deere tractor made ruts too. The same logger logged off a much bigger section of land a mile down the road, a year or so later, and I saw the road they came out of, they were dragging bottom there too. Not much you can do about it sometimes. On another piece of land nearby, they logged it and the ruts weren't too deep because it was better soil and it was fairly dry when they logged it. That piece got bulldozed out and reclaimed for hay field, which is what it was before the trees grew back up in it.

Maine has many different soil types, even within the space of a mile, multiple soil types can often be found. We lived in one of the glacial deposit areas, and the soil types were especially spotty. The bulk of our land was minarda clay, which is particularly messy. I got Dad's D-4 stuck in it twice. The guy who bought Dad's D-4 from him sank it up to the hood the day he drove it off the truck.  :o I remember our next door neighbor with his Oliver 77 stuck up to the axles in his front yard, our other neighbor's Allis WD-45 sat stuck in the mud for over a year. Our road was discontinued past our house, but as a logging road, continued through to the next town. Dad pulled at least a dozen lost souls' cars, vans, and 4X4 trucks out of the mud on that road over the years. "Stuck-in-the-mud" was almost one word in the local vernacular.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

barbender

This morning's view, the fall colors are getting here.

Ponsse Ergo working blowdown in one of the hardest hit areas from our July 3rd windstorm.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

We had this huge area of blowdown, and now it is this dry in the sand country

Some more blowdown, this is aspen on the NE shore of Ball Club lake

barbender

Another landing shot, sometimes we will team up two or even three forwarders to get a job hammered out

Nature shot, this hawk followed the machine around the whole time I was on this job, must have thought I was going to rustle up some grub for him

thecfarm

That looks like a mess. I had a hawk that would follow me around too.especailly when I got too close to his or her nest. Than the hawk would get too close to me. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

Quote from: barbender on September 08, 2012, 10:30:27 AM
That's a long haul being that heavy, Bobus. There's plenty of steep grades too. Hwy 85? All I know is 500 hp and an 18 speed kind of spoils a guy ;)

Yeah its a Good Haul, Can't wait too be Done Working Up there. The Oil traffic Sucks.. Hardest part on hwy 85 is the Climb out of the Little Missouri River south of Watford City.. It would be differnt driving if i didn't have a 18spd, and 550hp

barbender

We're still working blowdown, it keeps me close to home is the good part about it.

This is a Red Pine plantation a I thinned about 5 years ago, it is about 50% on the ground, 25% bent, and 25% undamaged.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Lots of money lost with that storm. that is too bad. Is this a land owner lot or a company? Acres? Nice and ALOT safer to do all that from a cab.

barbender

We've been cutting all small private lots, these landowners have really taken a beating on the stumpage. This sale was $5/cd on the aspen. The dangle head processor is the only way to fly in this stuff, IMO. It would be a death trap to try and cut by hand, and a hot saw doesn't work very well in it either.

Okrafarmer

Wow, I remember getting $42 a cord on the landing for aspen back in 1998. And thinking how that was a pitifully poor return on my time for cutting it. I guess you're talking about what the landowner gets, $5 / a cord. What would be normal price these days to pay a land owner for good standing aspen?

barbender

$20-$30/cord for aspen prior to it being blown down. Most of these sales have been $10/cord, this one was administered by the MN DNR because of a conservation easement, they dropped the stumpage in half because the Doctor that owns the property needed the access road to his cabin on the property cleared out by the duck opener ::)

Okrafarmer

That's more like it. So what would the landing price be (or millside price, whichever you would know more easily) ? For comparing, then to now. Back then I think it was $42 landing, $50 mill price.

barbender

You would have a tough time getting much more than $50/cord on the landing now in this area (for aspen pulp) unless you have a coveted UPM Blandin contract, that keeps the haul short. Otherwise the haul distance gets to be over 100 miles to the other paper mills, pushing trucking rates well over $30/cord. $80-$85/cord delivered on the aspen pulp, do the math and you can see why you don't want large equipment payments ::) I logged my place about 6 years ago, I was getting $102/cord delivered for my aspen, and it only cost about $15/cord to get it there. We still had local (23 miles) OSB mills, and they were all hungry for wood. Three of those OSB mills shut down that spring, never to open again. The good old days ::)

Okrafarmer

When I was a kid in Maine in the '80's, it was still the hey-day of logging up there. Didn't matter what you wanted to do, saw-logs, firewood, pulp, veneer, tree-length, 4-foot pulp, bolt-wood, bio-mass, selective cut, clear-cut, skidders, forwarders, bulldozers, jitterbugs, conversion trucks, wheelers, semi's, farm tractors, power trailers, bombardiers, pulp trains, furniture, fencing, post and beam, you name it. Chainsaw:resident ratio, around 2:1. Skidder:resident ratio, around 1:20. Wood meant money. Lots of money. You could make an honest living. If you were industrious, you could make a killing. If you were ingenious, you could make a fortune.

Now. . . . .

:'(

thecfarm

Old Frankin skidder,no idea what it had for a motor in it. Was raining hard when I stopped,there's a rain drop in the 3rd and 4th picture. This was working in the woods when I saw it. I do not know the year,but I like to see the old stuff being used. It looked to be a clean machine. It did not have grease and oil all over it.

treefarmer87

looks like a late 60s early 70s franklin 132 in really good shape like you said :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 29, 2012, 10:34:20 PM
When I was a kid in Maine in the '80's, it was still the hey-day of logging up there. Didn't matter what you wanted to do, saw-logs, firewood, pulp, veneer, tree-length, 4-foot pulp, bolt-wood, bio-mass, selective cut, clear-cut, skidders, forwarders, bulldozers, jitterbugs, conversion trucks, wheelers, semi's, farm tractors, power trailers, bombardiers, pulp trains, furniture, fencing, post and beam, you name it. Chainsaw:resident ratio, around 2:1. Skidder:resident ratio, around 1:20. Wood meant money. Lots of money. You could make an honest living. If you were industrious, you could make a killing. If you were ingenious, you could make a fortune.

Now. . . . .

:'(

Around here in the 60s and 70s, everybody or anybody could get a job logging. Every little town had one or two timber buyers, i even had-em come out to the house. Most of the farmers logged over the winter months.
1980 the logging industry here took a dive, after that logging was just a dog-eat-dog job.

barbender i have cut many thousands of cords of that kind of blow down with a saw an cable skidder in the 80s. That was one of my nick names [blown down Nelson] in the 60s an 70s it was [Easy-Money]

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

Blow Down Nelson...I like that :D It's dangerous stuff, everything is loaded.

keen

Great thread took me a while to get through the whole thing. Alot of great pics from members.

Heres a red pine skid on a job a few weeks ago. 10" dbh was about the average tree size. 8" and over went to the local amish for tounge and groove paneling. 5"-7" was sold to a local fence post company and will be peeled and treated. 2"-4" was sent to pennsylvania for furniture making. The 2"-4" was the money maker on the job since they can not be processer cut furniture makers are having a hard time finding them and are paying top dollar.

Maine372

whodathunkit! 2-4" diameter material being the money maker!

whats your machine keen? C5D?

keen

Its a c5d with a deutz 5 cylinder. It does pretty good for us, for what it is.  I had a few loggers and truckers see my pile of 2"-4" stuff and say " Your getting a pretty good pile of pulp wood" and have them say that they are getting roughly $60 a cord for it. When I say im getting $250 a cord on the landing there jaw drops. Being a low production chainsaw crew we really have to shop for the right market to be able to make a decent profit.

Thank You Sponsors!