iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outer blade guide adjustment cable replacement on manual lt30

Started by Jeff, May 26, 2010, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have a replacement cable here and am wondering on something before I unbolt the old one and simply pull it out. Is there is a preferred procedure for fishing the new cable through the head frame and around its pulleys?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sparks

Mike Ike says:

Loosen both the hand knob and idler pulleys, sliding them towards the mast.
Slip the cable off of these two pulleys.
Remove the screws holding the cable to the blade guide arm.
Take the cap off of the top of the vertical tube above the BG arm.
Grab the cable and pull it out.
lower both ends of the cable down the tube on the side of the idle pulleys away from engine.
Guiding the cables down the tube so one end goes to the left of the two lower pulleys and the other to the right of the lower pulleys.
Connect the ends of the cable to each end of the blade guide arm.
Using a stiff wire, like a coat hanger straightened, guide it through the saw head from where the hand knob is to the upper idler pulleys in the vertical tube. Bend a hook in the end of the wire and hook the cable and pull it through and around the hand knob.
Pull the idler pulley next to the hand knob away from the saw head and tighten.
Then pull the hand knob away from the saw head until the cable is tight the tighten its bolt.
Make sure the cables down the vertical tube do not twist around each other and be sure to have the cables on separate pulleys on the top idler pulleys.
If the arm goes the wrong direction when the hand knob is turned, loose the knob towards the head, take the cable a flip it top to bottom, the tighten again.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Jeff

Jeff

One final note on this. If you have a very old mill like I do, the replacement cable may or may not be exactly the right length.  Way back in 1986 these were all built one off, so they differed from mill to mill.  In the case of my mill, I was lacking about an Inch of having the cable long enough. Wood-Mizer was ready willing and able to send me a custom made one in place of the one they sent me, but onhce I found out that I wasn't doing anything wrong on the installation, and the reason the new one was not quite right, I decided to simply make a short extension for mine. No reason not to.  :) Besides, that cable is a bugger to fish through there and I didn't want to do it again. :D

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

trapper

Jeff
I printed a hard copy of your last 2 maint projects to put in with my mill papers as I bought my mill from an estate and may not have gotten all the manuals with it.  Mine is a 1983 lt30. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!