iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone enlighten me on this debate with an old timer?

Started by hunz, November 10, 2013, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So as some of you know, I live on my family's farm in NC. We have a gentleman who is the caretaker who also lives on the property. Me being 24, and ignorant and stupid that I am, I am constantly criticized by the older gentleman(60) who always let's me know when I do things wrong. I consider the FF the largest collection of informed lumber, timber, and sawing minds on the planet. So here is the "debate" as it has occurred many times.

Having my own band mill, I have obviously used a blot of self milled lumber for projects on the farm. On some occasions I let air dry for a month before use, and sometimes green when the time frame calls for it. Whenever I do these projects, I regularly stain or poly one face of the boards for mainly color and sheen. The said old timer, tells every time that I need to seal all 4 sides of my lumber(only a few days off the mill)to prevent the board from the weather and splitting. I admit there is some truth in this preventing checking, but the main issue here it rot/the elements prevention. To me, wood needs to breathe with the seasons to maintain a long life. Sealing them completely green, seems that the current moisture in the wood would then be locked in, and rot the lumber from the inside out. Is the old timer right??
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't seal it up completely. I think the wood is going to do what it wants anyway. It usually does.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

To be brief, I think along your lines as well, now if the lumber is "air dried"  then sealing both sides makes perfect sense. If the lumber is only partial air dried, then sealing one side works. I'm not a pro, but have sawn for several, they only seal the exposed side after construction.  All of which is green SYP siding, or oak.  There's lots to learn from ole timers, and some of  the lessons learned are to pick the battles worth fighting.  You both have valid points,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Dad is 87 and farms everyday....so if 60 is an 'Ol Timer, what does that make him?  say_what
60 ain't old!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kcwoodbutcher

The biggest problem I see with that is uneven drying. The wood would tend to cup towards the unsealed face as it is drying faster
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

OLD MAN GRINDER

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 10, 2013, 09:15:13 PM
My Dad is 87 and farms everyday....so if 60 is an 'Ol Timer, what does that make him?  say_what
60 ain't old!  :)
[/quote

AMEN.....

Bob..... smiley_old_guy
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

hunz

In comparison to me he has nearly 40 years on me. I just wanted to hear a few opinions from those who make more than a couple cookie end tables every 5 years. I am young and have very much to learn, everyday is a constant reminder of how little I have figured out. A person though can only take so much criticism without firing back(I normally always let it go because its just not worth it) Our "not a total old timer" is retired law enforcement of 30 years and was a previous fire chief.......I don't like to categorize folks but the majority of people in uniform have ego issues. I think his 4 marriages might be proof of that, truthfully he needs prayer not more criticism on a public forum. I apologize in advance for anyone on the forum that might be or was a person in uniform; Its only a generalization. I am aware that this is an awfully odd topic of frustration, but my wife and I really don't have much of an outlet other than each other. I respect the opinions of everyone on the forum and was just looking for some confirmation I'm not a total blitherin idiot.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hunz, we was just poking you on the age thing. There was not a soul on here offended......we're all a family here and love and help each other.
I'm 57 and turn to young whipper snappers for help all the time.  :)

I go to Hendersonville about once a year......we love it up there.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunz

Oh, I know, I have never felt any animosity for any forum member. I may seem a little fragile after that post haha, I promise I can take a little prodding! I love everyone on here. Sawdust does something to a man,............... :o I think that common denominator somehow brings everyone to the same page

WDH

If the wood has not dried and reached equilibrium, then it needs to dry, and sealing it will retard drying, and bad things will happen.

(I turn 60 next month, so I am teetering on Old Timerism). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hunz

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2013, 09:47:45 PM
Sounds like my FIL has moved to NC.  :D

Maybe he has.........what's his name  :D just kidding

redprospector

You're right, let it go, it's just not worth it.
Having achieved the "ripe old age" of 60 doesn't necessarily make anyone wise.
Sealing all sides of any lumber, green, air dried, or kiln dried isn't the best idea in my experience. Wood has to breathe, and it's going to do some moving. The best you can do is learn how to have the least movement possible, and learn how to use that likely movement to your advantage.
Take a look at a piece of furniture made of lumber. Is it sealed on all sides? Likely not. The bottom, or unexposed side is left un-sealed (it may be stained, but not sealed) to allow the wood to breath.

That's been my experience, take it for what it's worth.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

hunz

Quote from: WDH on November 10, 2013, 09:51:30 PM
If the wood has not dried and reached equilibrium, then it needs to dry, and sealing it will retard drying, and bad things will happen.

(I turn 60 next month, so I am teetering on Old Timerism).

Well based on my first post, you have no need to worry about being categorized as an old timer. You still have a few months to go :D :)

OK, I take it back guys......plus, like a month ago I saw a billboard that said "60 is the new 50, but you still need to have your prostate screened annually" :D I know, one day I'll be there too!

Magicman

:D  Let's see.  I am 70 so that makes me old enough to realize that it matters very little who is right or wrong.  Do it the way you want and when it needs replacing, then just saw some more lumber. 

You have a good relationship with your wife, so keep the communications open and enjoy each other.   smiley_love  Laugh at the old fart who apparently has failed with his communication skills three times already.   laugh_at  No wonder, he probably is argumentative with everyone about nit picking things and is an unhappy person.

Now, which way is actually the best for the lumber, I have no idea.  Life is too short and my happiness is too important for me to worry about it.  And lastly, I have absolutely no hangup about age.  I am enjoying mine.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I know how you feel. My FIL can do anything better,quicker,easier and cheaper than any one else. He even tired to tell me how to sell my logs. This is coming from a guy that never had more than 4 trees on any land he owned and never owned more than 500 square feet of land. I did tell him to tell the fellow that gave him all the answers that I knew what to do.He also the type that if he don't do it,why would anyone do it. He thinks I'm crazy for trying to improve my land,be it digging a rock out or making a place easier to mow. As he told me once,I could find something better to do. He told me anyone under 60 is useless a few months back. Just trying to get me going. It goes on and on. But he treats everyone the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kderby

Uneven drying would be the lumber concern, if it is a concern.  It is your project and he would do well to respect that.

Keep your patience with the "old" grump.  I understand your observation about the uniform.  I have worn several uniforms and understand how it does inflate the ego.  Pride is a human weakness, not everyone succumbs to it.  It does feel good to be proud of your accomplishments and the symbolism of a uniform.  If pride gets in the way of respecting or understanding the views of others, then he has a problem (it is not the uniform).

Humans are a social animal.  Enjoy your wife and I hope your shared love lasts forever!  I treasure my wife as well.  Four marriages is a tremendous amount of heartache...I can't imagine. :embarassed:

Prayer is a kind gesture.  You are right, his need to declare you "ignorant and stupid" it is not worth a fight.  It reflects poorly on him.  You can certainly address it as no-one needs that type of commentary.  conflict.  He was a young man once....I wonder what happened?   

Wow!  When did I morph into an advice columnist? :D

Kderby

Hilltop366

Quote from: hunz on November 10, 2013, 09:58:57 PM

OK, I take it back guys......plus, like a month ago I saw a billboard that said "60 is the new 50, but you still need to have your prostate screened annually" :D I know, one day I'll be there too!

Don't worry about that prostate exam, you see this is the modern age and the exam is done electronically now that why they call it a "digital exam" ;D

hunz

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2013, 10:07:45 PM
I know how you feel. My FIL can do anything better,quicker,easier and cheaper than any one else. He even tired to tell me how to sell my logs. This is coming from a guy that never had more than 4 trees on any land he owned and never owned more than 500 square feet of land. I did tell him to tell the fellow that gave him all the answers that I knew what to do.He also the type that if he don't do it,why would anyone do it. He thinks I'm crazy for trying to improve my land,be it digging a rock out or making a place easier to mow. As he told me once,I could find something better to do. He told me anyone under 60 is useless a few months back. Just trying to get me going. It goes on and on. But he treats everyone the same.

Thecfarm, I am beginning to seriously think you FIL is our caretaker!

Magic man,
I couldn't agree with you more on every thing you said. I think I speak on behalf of everyone on the forum,You are man whose advice is worth listening to.

thecfarm

You made my day. Mistaking me for Magicman. But poor Magicman.  :D

hunz

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2013, 10:07:45 PM

I just read your post to my wife, and halfway through it we were both crying we were laughing so hard. Serious as a heart attack. This fella sounds literally EXACTLY like your FIL. From the never owning a house in his entire life ( he's always rented per him). He is a wood expert despite him never doing anything his whole life related to it other than busting firewood.

The reason for the whole post was for some comments he made to me tonight. My wife ad I operate a wedding venue. The inside of the barn where the receptions take place is currently ground up tire rubber(previously a horse training arena). The plan is to put down a wood floor. Some brides turn up their noses at borderline dirt floor.....I don't blame them. So for the last few months the plan has been to put down the floor in November. He thought it was a terrible idea, and has let me know on many occasions that I am wasting my time.

I have started pushing the ground tire rubber up with the skidsteer to get to the bare ground. Tonight he asked me what I was going to do with it and why I was moving it because it was"$14,000" a dumo truck load which I doubt. Funny enough he owns nothing on the farm including his house.

This is neither here no there, but just thought you would get a kick out of the resemblances.

hunz

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2013, 10:17:00 PM
You made my day. Mistaking me for Magicman. But poor Magicman.  :D

I just tried to throw a comment his way and yours, with your post haha. This dern phone

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2013, 10:17:00 PMYou made my day. Mistaking me for Magicman. But poor Magicman.  :D 
laugh_at  Ok, I apologize before I say this Ray, but now you eat grits.   :D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I do want to say this,I will take all of Magicman,but leave the food part out of it.  :D

thecfarm

MY FIL is a very smart man. He can fix anything,be it run on gas,diesel,electricity,whatever. But if he don't know something,he has to act like he does from what he has heard from others,even if it's not true. Than if he thinks he is right on something and I have a diffeant way than he does it,he will go around and ask everyone he meets about his way is the only way. Than come back to me,to say I'm not doing it right because he found someone that agrees with him. I find myself saying ,yep,alot now. Kinda like a yes dear. It's so much easier that way. Or I just tell the wife,time to go home.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!