iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Florence wood - to buy or not to buy a mill?

Started by ScottyM, September 30, 2018, 09:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyM

Greetings everyone,  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts regarding all things wood, milling, drying, etc. and admittedly have a lot to learn. I have been considering the purchase of a small saw mill for a while but was taking my time as I have a few years left in my present job. 

With that said, we just witnessed a pretty significant storm on the coast of NC and with that came a significant amount of downed trees including some nice red oak, cherry, pecan, etc.  As most of this is destined for the mulch pile I managed to collect about 20 pieces of these anywhere from 4' to 6' long by 16" to 20" in diameter. I could have collected 200 pieces but my back and yard would not accommodate that much!

I am now seriously considering purchasing a Timbery M 100 (which I understand is made by Wood Mizer?) but wanted to get some thoughts on whether a 9 HP engine work with logs of that size or should I just go ahead and upgrade to 14 HP?  

What I have managed to collect so far are not very large in the scheme of things and I would likely cut into slabs to try to recoup (maybe) some of my investment. I know that's probably a long shot but thought I would throw that out there to see what some of you who have been doing this for a while thought.

Thanks! 

Percy

Welcome Scotty.... A small manual mill can cut up the logs you describe easily and you can make a little extra coin if you work hard and smart. The mills you describe cost less than a bad used car so the risk is minimal. Do some research and get a mill that will be dependable and easily re-sellable in case you want to upgrade down the road...or quit all together. On the horsepower thing, I never heard a sawyer say "*DanG, I wish I didn't have so much horsepower." Get as many ponies as your wallet will release.  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SawyerTed

Welcome!  Sawing logs into usable lumber is an awfully fun bunch of hard work.  

The Timbery mill is a reasonable mill to start out on or maintain as a hobby mill.  It will cut what you describe.  I looked at Timbery but decided the features I wanted came in a different package by a different manufacturer.

+1 on more horsepower if you can afford it.  It is inevitable that you will want to saw something larger.  I have 25 hp and wish I had 35 or 40!  9 hp will be slower cutting than 14 for sure.  Slow sawing might make your interest slide.  

Before you buy, you might try finding a local portable mill and sawyer just to have a batch cut.  Another option would be to go to a sawyer with a batch of logs and have them sawn while you are there. Spend some time seeing what it's all about.  Decide if it really is a hobby you want to get in to.  There are some guys here in NC that are likely closer to you than I am but I'd be willing for you to come here and spend some time.

Do you have a plan for when the hurricane wood is gone?  It would be worth thinking about.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ScottyM

Thanks! Greatly appreciate the insight and advice.  To be sure it is a substantial investment so want to make sure i know (mostly) what I am getting in to.  Still trying to track down someone a little closer to Wilmington but I may take you up on your offer to stop by, I've never been  to Germanton.  Lots of land being cleared for development around here so I think I could keep myself supplied in usable material. Anyway, I'll keep reading the posts and check back in if I actually make the leap.  I think the estimate of debris that needed to be picked up in New Hanover county alone amounted to over 1M cubic yards, most of it destined for the tub-grinder - hate it.    

Ron Wenrich

I had some experience with the hurricane Sandy wood.  It came mainly from urban areas and was loaded with metal.  If you're getting it from outside the urban area, you should be okay.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!