iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw milling one board a day?

Started by AZ_builder, March 06, 2019, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZ_builder

so the days are getting longer and I have half-a full hour of day light when I get home. I mill mostly mesquite with the granberg mill. Usually a cut thru a 13-18" by 6-8' long will take the amount of daylight I have. Mesquite is a fairly stable wood. In the past I've milled one slab a night (this time of year) and weighed it down, next night another slab, sticker and so on until the logs cut. Then I strap the pile and let it dry. Other than using a day off to cut the whole log or try to find a mill to do it for me, is this good practice? I haven't had much warpage or checking so far.

doc henderson

do what you gotta do, sounds like it is working.  you could throw cardboard on top of the stack so it does not dry too fast from the top until the next night and the next slab.  how thick are the boards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

pabst79

I have no idea on proper procedure, but as long as your happy with the boards, have at it. I gave up on my CSM experiment for now, due to starting with mostly yard trees and not using a metal detector, the ruined chain added up. Do you use the mesquite for lumber or ?
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

AZ_builder

Typically my min is 2"-2.5" thick. I've tried thinner but it just seems to waste to much lumber. Mister mesquite is table top material. I do have a pile of straight logs I'd love to have milled for trim or flooring but prices, attitude, and the lack of competition out here keep me from getting them milled professionally.

AZ_builder

Quote from: pabst79 on March 06, 2019, 08:33:45 PM
I have no idea on proper procedure, but as long as your happy with the boards, have at it. I gave up on my CSM experiment for now, due to starting with mostly yard trees and not using a metal detector, the ruined chain added up. Do you use the mesquite for lumber or ?
Mostly I use it for my own projects and family/friends. I have sold a few pieces but I'm not "there" yet. I'm hoping in the next few years I'll build my way out of freebies and start to advertise for profit.

doc henderson

maybe you can post more location info and see if there is a member close enough to make it worth both your while.  Are you using ripping chain?  I thing it is thinner kerfed and ground diff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

AZ_builder

Quote from: doc henderson on March 06, 2019, 09:43:56 PM
maybe you can post more location info and see if there is a member close enough to make it worth both your while.  Are you using ripping chain?  I thing it is thinner kerfed and ground diff.
I am using a rip chain on the stihl. Honestly I thought my location was already posted? I'm 35 but might as well be 90 when it comes to computers lol

doc henderson

no you are good.  it says southern Arizona.  there is a way to look for members in that area so you broaden your search if you really want to have your logs sawn with a bandmill to decrease waste.  Is there a big town near you.  If your chainsaw mill is working for you one slab at a time, I think that is great.  When I cut up a cant, I sometimes let it set on the mill overnight.  in the am the top board is often sticking up on each end, so I know it can start to bow a board.  Some of the folks on here know people all over the country, so they can point you in the direction of a member that can saw for you.

AZ_builder

thecfarm

If you are happy with the outcome that is all that matters.
Some would not do things the way that I do it. That is what I have to do with the equipment I have.
Might even make the chainsaw last longer doing one board a day. Instead of running the chainsaw all day long,you are only using it a little. Gives the motor time to cool off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

my friend is 20 minuets north of Tucson, he is woodworker, does not mill. will come back to Ks in may if you cannot find anyone else.

AZ_builder

Thanks doc. Mills out this way are few and far between. With prices running $125-200 an hour plus blades. I'm seriously looking at a smaller hobby mill but 2-3k isn't in the budget at the moment.

longtime lurker

Yanno if what you're doing is working for you, keep doing it. Build your stock, one slab at a time if thats how you got to do it. Keep your quality high, and look after the stock you are accumulating so that the value of it is increasing through seasoning not decreasing through degrade. You're in Tucson... you can airdry low enough that no kiln can touch you so long as you watch for excessively fast drying in summer. I used to work in a mill in a similar kind of climate here.... it had a drying shed with burlap screens over the doorways and a irrigation drip system that could keep the burlap wet in summer to slow drying down until the wood was below 20%. Had it not had those screen it would have been at 20% in about 4 days in summer and it would open up with huge drying splits

Any man who can front up to a chainsaw mill every day after work has the kind of determination it takes to succeed in any business. You'll get there.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

doc henderson

My woodworking friend is a retired engineer.  He makes segmented bowls and does a lot of turquoise inlay.  He knows a guy steve with King Mesquite lumber, and they have a website.  maybe you all ready have checked with them.  Jimmy drives a minivan so I don't think he can put them on top to bring to kansas.  keep posting how it is going.

AZ_builder

Doc, I know king mesquite well. It's one of the bigger mesquite suppliers out here. I've purchased some very unique slabs from him (stuff I can't cut or find). Nice fella. He's on the short list of folks I've talked to about milling. Just haven't figured out the logistics yet. Thanks for the replies everyone! Gives me more hope on my methods thus far.

AZ_builder

Oh, and doc, Did your friend jimmy work at raytheon or IBM? Just guessing since those would be the two bigger industries for engineers

doc henderson

he started in the airforce, and then cont. in aerospace.  He has a home in kc, hutch and 20 miles north of Tucson.  Lives across the street here and comes over to have me engrave the bottom of his bowls.  He is supposed to join the forum soon.  He incorporates mesquite into his bowls.  If he gets on here, maybe you guys can collaborate.  I should retire and go around the country milling wood.  someday!  good luck AZ

longtime lurker

Now there speaks a true sawmiller: whattya wanna do when you retire? Go cut wood in other places. :D :D :D

(Me I want a 60' boat with a portable mill stored in the hold)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

doc henderson

well LL, at least if you hit an ICE BURG you can mill you own wood for repairs!  lol  you must want to travel the world and mill lumber! god bless all.

Altamaha

Anchor Seal on the ends!!!  I use it on the gunstock blanks I have cut.

Anchorseal 1 gal 2 Green Wood Sealer Gallon - Hardware Sealers - Amazon.com

A heavy coat on the ends, repeat each month.

Buy a moisture meter so you can tell where you are with the drying.

AZ_builder

I've been using exterior latex paint this far. Honestly I didn't even know what anchor seal was til about a year ago. Thanks to FF I do now lol.

Thank You Sponsors!