iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I log with a hydraulic excavator?

Started by Steven A., September 10, 2007, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

Strange, I know. :)
I am not a logger or an excavating contractor by trade but I need to take down about a dozen mature trees, some living, some dead.
I just bought a 32,000 lb. excavator on tracks with a 1 yard bucket to do a little digging and then I'll sell it.
I'm just thinking that it might come in handy pushing on a leaning tree, maybe digging out a stump or 2, picking up and moving some logs. But I don't want to do anything dangerous.
This may sound stupid but have I overlooked some handy use for this machine in taking down these trees?

I ask because I have overlooked some things before.......... :)

Thanks, Steve.

IL Bull

Dig around the tree a little and then push them over.  This seems to be the way to do it now.  A lot quicker than a
Dozer. ;D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Steven A.

Thats just the kind of advice I'm looking for. Simple but not something that I'd thought of.

Thanks, any one else..........?

Gary_C

Ya, send to me and I will figure out some other uses for your excavator. Don't worry, I will explain everything when I get done.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Steven A.

Quote from: Gary_C on September 10, 2007, 05:54:00 PM
Ya, send to me and I will figure out some other uses for your excavator. Don't worry, I will explain everything when I get done.  8)

He he. I feel like a guy who has won the lottery. After buying the excavator everybody wants to be my friend. :)

Norm

That's how I use mine to take down trees. Dig two sides and then move and dig the other two sides, push over with the bucket high up.

One thing to be aware of is that they can come back on top of the excavator and crush the cab. Get your feet wet on some smaller ones first.

Ianab

The biggest danger is having a tree or large branch fall back over the cab  :o
A standard excavator has a cab built to keep the rain off the operator, and thats about all.
So be very carefull about pushing over big trees.

As for digging out stumps, moving logs, stacking up tops into burn piles.. go for it  :)

Best way to get logs out of awkward spots  8)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

there was a local accident that killed a man who was using an excavator to push over a tree, be careful. 

The center of gravity can be higher than the excavator can push causing it to topple over backwards.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Sawyerfortyish

In this area I've heard of more operators getting hurt taking down trees with an excavator than loggers cutting them down. Recenly one guy was pushing on the tree while his worker cut the tree off. He got it more than half cut off it barber chaired and went right through the cab. Another hazzard I've seen is after you dig out the tree many guys tend to push the tree aside with the machine or even pile them up. All you've done is load every limb with torque. Thats when I usally get called and they want to sell me a pile of logs that they rolled up with a dozer or excavator. I can't stress enough how dangerous loaded limbs are to trim. My advice is when the tree hits the ground trim it right there. Cut the stump off and top it

barbender

Don't dig all the way around the tree, there is then nothing supporting it and it can fall at will- maybe on your new machine. I have always dug on just the side of the tree the machine is on (provided it's not leaning towards you) and then pushed the tree over. Big trees, you may have to dig three sides before they will push over. A 16 ton class excavator is a good sized machine, you shouldn't have any trouble putting most trees on the ground. Like others said, you have to be very careful because trees are good at storing energy (think of a bow) and things can come crushing back on the cab in a hurry. We had a kid at work last year that somehow got a tree in the cab of his excavator (not sure how it all happened) I do know it broke his leg and pushed his foot on the travel pedal so the machine was driving INTO the log, kind of a vicious catch 22. He said he almost blacked out from the pain, but he was able to get the machine shut off in time. Thats the kind of stuff that can happen though, so be careful. If you're not experienced in this machine, taking trees down is a poor place to start.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodhog

Its probably faster, cheaper and less dangerous to fall and limb them with your saw and then bull the wood around with the machine..

I never liked to bang on trees with machines, the top can break off so easy and fall back on top of the machine, if it doesnt cause human injury it  could cost you money in repairs.

The tops most always fall opposite to the push and thats usually on the machine.

scsmith42

A hydraulic thumb is a handy addition to the machine, if it doesn't already have one.  Very beneficial in picking up logs and moving them around.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

logwalker

I have a 6 ton machine with a blade and thumb. I have pushed hundreds of trees with it without an accident. But I am not saying it hasn't gotten hairy a few times. Usually I loosen up the roots on the side away from the direction I want the tree to go and then start pushing high on the tree. No banging , just pushing. When pushing you only have a general idea where the tree will go. Maybe a 60 to 80 degree range. If it is a critical location, I will loosen the roots almost to the point the tree is ready to fall and then with the bucket high on the tree and a little pressure I cut the tree in the normal way. Be sure you leave adequate hinge material in the back cut. Climb on the machine and gently push it over. Then the stump can be removed easily. Always check the tree first for widowmakers. Wear a helmet in the cab.

As to limbing, I limb the first log on the ground and then grab it and take it to the deck. I come back and pick up the whole treetop and put it in a convenient place and limb it up. I hold it a little ways off the ground. Be aware that it can come out of the grasp and get you with out warning.

Having said all this I must caution you that it is extremely dangerous and you will be exposing yourself to large amounts of stored energy. Things like grabbing small trees with the bucket and thumb and having the tree snap in the bucket and both halves coming  back at you at 300 miles an hour.

Start small and go slowly. Use the machine at a slow engine speed until you get used to it. Take your time and think everything thru. Used properly it is the most amazing machine ever made.

Be very careful also with anybody else in the area. Do not work around children unless some other adult is there to control them. People have the bad habit of coming up behind you. They forget you can swing around in seconds with a 80 foot pecker pole and smash them like a bug. Always take into account the centrifugal force when swinging with a load. By itself the load is stable but swinging at speed it can topple the machine.

Try to go out and watch an experienced operator on a similar jobsite. Watch him for hours and learn what the capabilities of the machine are. It takes hundreds if not thousands of hours to get proficient on these machines but they will do the work of a large crew by themselves. But it only takes a few seconds for tragedy to happen.

Be careful and Good Luck, Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!