iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do I Buck DF logs to get the most money

Started by cosmos, July 26, 2004, 04:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmos

I am getting ready to selectivly logs some of the doug fir from my property.  I plan on selling the log and will most likely have about a load or 2.  

Last Time sold logs the very helpful log truck driver pulled out a chart for figuring out how many board feet I could get out of a log.  We quickly did a little triming here and there so that the logs would scale better.

Still I had the sinking feeling that I could have gotten much more for my logs if I would have had that chart in the first place.   :-/

I Have looked all over the web and have not been able to find a similar chart.  Any one know where I could get one?

Also, he had me remove about 8 feet from the butt end of one of the logs becuase it had too much taper.  How do I know how much is to much.

Any advice I could get would be very helpfull. :D

Tom

Have you looked at the Forestry Forum Tool Box?  Click on the red tool box on the left side of the page.

Bruce_A

You should be able to get a scribner scale book at your local saw shop.  If not call the log buyer and ask before you buck.  Short logs will scale more but usually pay less per unit of scale.  good luck.

cosmos

Thanks For the replies guys,  Had to hit myself on the forhead when I saw that little red tool box on the side of this page  :-[  Still it was not quite what I was looking for.

I did call the log truck driver who helped me before and he gave me enough info to get me started.   I now know that local mill uses scribner scale and he told me which lengths are getting the most money.

Just a thought,  I'm sure I'm not the only property owner ambitious/foolish/crazy enough to go into his back yard and take down a few trees.  If one of you guys wanted to put together a chart for a novice to print and take with him into the woods you could sell it on ebay.  I know I would have bought one if I could have found one.

Thanks

Mike

Ron Scott

There are many charts available for the different log rules along with the Forum tool box. Woodmizer puts out a "pocket slide rule", etc. Check with your local mills regularly to see what length products are needed and species they are paying the most for.

Spend some time with the mill or veneer scaler so that when you cut the trees you will have a better idea of what they are looking for and paying for grade wise.

Its always good to take a class in cutting and scaling grade logs if you can. The $$ are in proper cutting of the log for the most value.
~Ron

Frank_Pender

Cos, I would also check with your local extension agent.  I might well be able to assist.   But, before you even fall any of the trees, have some of your potential log buyers come and check out the trees you are going to market.  That way you will have a better idea what they might pay as well as the lengths for which you will get the highest prices.  Just remember,  most Douglas Fir West of the Cascades tapers very quickely.  Yes, shorter logs produce greater log scale yield and lower price value, while the longer logs produce a smaller diameter log, but higher dollar value.

What I have done often, is fall the tree, delimb it and do a close approximation for both the short log scale and the long log scale.  I have found that this is rather economicle to do as I will be selling only and truck or three at any one time.

Also, check with somne of your neighbors to see how they and done on both scale and grading at the various mill sites.  That playing field is suppose to  be the same everywhere, but Ihave found that by doing some of that kind of shopping you will yield more dollars.

For example, there are several major and minor mills withing distances of 6 to 50 miles of my home.   I have made more on some loads by sending some to the 50 mile plus mill, rather than to the 6 mile mill, even those the hauling costs are a bit more. :'(
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Your buyer will have preferred lengths.  Check with them before you touch a tree!

Export logs have to average 36',  max length at 40' shortest usually 26' unless its something really nice.  They want a minimum of 8" diameter.  The usual export sorts are 8" (J8), 12" (J12 or Korea) and sometimes 16"+ (J16, K or China)  

Domestic saw mills want all 40' but will buy to 12'.   4", 5" or 6" minimum diameter depending on mill.  Domestic grades are usually:

4 sawmill; 10bf net knots to 3 1/2".

3 sawmill; 50bf net 6" minimum diameter, knots to 3 1/2".

2 sawmill; 60bf net 12" minimum diameter, knots to 2 1/2".

special mill; 16" minimum diameter, knots no larger than 1/12" and no more than one per foot of log.

3 peeler; 24" minimum diameter, knots no larger than 1/12" and no more than one per foot of log.

1 sawmill grade, does not exist anymore as in I have seen one in 20 years.

If you have logs larger than 30" diameter you can get into anther peeler grade but I have only seen a few.

"Utility" is any log that does not meet the 4 sawmill grade generally.  Old growth has lots of log in this grade.  There is also a "special cull" grade for firm white speck in the logs.

Pole and piling buyer have to see the trees before you cut.  These guys are a great way to make allot more money from your logs.  Each buyer has certain qualities they look for so if you suspect piling of pole quality call the buyer before doing anything.  

Disclaimer, I did these off the top of my head, I think they are correct.  I know the better grades are.

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!