iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How hard to repair breaks on TJ 230E?

Started by Mountain_d, October 30, 2016, 03:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain_d

I am close to purchasing a 1978 Timberjack 230E. Seems in decent shape except it has no service or emergency break. Can anyone comment on how hard a job it will be for me to fix the breaks? Much appreciated. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Neilo

If it has the New Process transfer it is pretty easy, but the foot brake will always be less than perfect in pulling up the machine.

I don't know much about the Eaton transfer case.

bushmechanic

Eaton transfer case's aren't that bad to do the brakes on. Simple system, much like a farm tractor brakes. It has three balls that provide a ramp to nip two friction discs against the housings. The biggest thing is to stop the gear oil from seeping out of the case onto the brake discs. The park brake is on one side of the transfer case usually the front and is applied by a cable.

Spartan

you sure its the brakes and not the master?

Mountain_d

I just had a look at the brake. Looks like the drum is missing on the back of the transfer case. I did not notice another break system on the front of the transfer case for the emerg brake. When I look at the brake on the back of transfer case I see the brake cylinder and the shaft. The seal for the shaft is leaking a little so I guess the seal needs to be replaced. Looks like the seal just pops out with a puller? The machine has Eaton axels and Eaton winch so I am guessing the transfer case is Eaton also? If anyone has suggestion of where I can find a parts diagram for the breaks, let me know. Thanks for now.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

i saw a disc brake conversion on a 208D  a while back. fairly simple.  they just replaced the drum  with a rotor, mounted a caliper on a bracket welded to frame  and used a hydraulic needle valve for a brake lock. (the mico lock from factory had been discarded by previous owners)

Neilo

That sounds like a NP transfer case from your description, with a brake hydraulic cylinder on the top rear. If so, there should be the round backing plate attached to the box, then the cylinder and drum brake shoes, obviously covered by drum.

On your age machine with NP transfer, the hand brake is a band going around the outside of the brake drum. There should be a pivot for the linkage to the right side of the transfer case.

Sounds like you need some parts most common to the late D series with the hand brake.

bushmechanic

Neilo is correct if there is a drum and it's on the top shaft of the rear of the transfer case it's most likely a New Process case. The E series should of had an Eaton but somebody may have replaced it at sometime. On an Eaton T/C the brake is on the bottom shaft and there is no sign of a brake drum.

Neilo

Oh, the foot brake parts including the drum are common on all 200 series with the NP case. Only the handbrake had a short run on late D series.

The brake drum, etc on the case are timberjack parts. No point looking for a Np201 out of a truck.

Mooseknuckle

Mountain, heres some flicks from my 65 TJ 230. Of course these are the before pics, cleaned it all reaplced the seal, rebuilt rhe brake piston and a springs and all is good. 

Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Mountain_d

Mooseknuckle, thanks for the pictures. Helps a lot . I see I am missing the break drum. Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like it is a NP transfer case, then. I hope that is not too bad of a thing? Does the New Process have any serious short comings? Thanks again and any more info is welcome. Mountain.

Neilo

Moose's machine is earlier - without the handbrake. As I said you are missing handbrake parts as well from your description. They should be able to be found.

The NP transfer case is fine. It was used for about 15 years. The only tip is to not rotate the shafts lots while the machine is stopped. So take the main transmission out of gear when you are running out cable and hooking logs.

Thank You Sponsors!