iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Noob questions for drying Ponderosa Pine, slabs and 2x

Started by TheTall, July 13, 2017, 01:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTall

Hello all,

I am with Crossroad Recycled Lumber and while we usually deal with reclaimed lumber, due to the high tree mortality caused by the bark beetle we find ourselves with a bit of blue stained ponderosa pine in need of drying.

Because of this our company bought a Nyle L500 and installed it into a Refer 40' container. Our standard cut off from our Mobile Dimension saw is 2x.

Sometimes we get 4"-6" slab off of it as well.

Since I am new to this I am looking for some pointers or help on drying schedules.

Currently, while we await the kiln to get up and running, we air sticker all the wood and allow it to dry thus.

redprospector

I know nothing about Nyle kilns, but curious about where you are.
I've come to the conclusion that here, in the desert Southwest, I may need a kiln to slow down the drying process. Or at least try to control it some.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because this wood dries so fast in air drying, it is usually best to air dry for a week or two and then finish it in the kiln to obtain the correct final MC.   You can then run the kiln as hot and dry as you can achieve without damaging the lumber, but do not overdry as that makes the wood brittle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

TheTall

Hey redprospector,

Crossroads Recycled Lumber is located in North Fork California, which is about 45 min of so from Yosemite's South Gate. While not desert, in does get hot and dry here, last week we hit 100 and stayed there for while. Summers in the high 90's to low 100's are not uncommon.

OlJarhead

I air dry ponderosa all the time and it does very well as long as it isn't in the direct sunlight (shade with sides and ends open but tops covered.

No kiln here but air drying seems to do well and Ponderosa doesn't shrink much at all.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!