iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

ckwoodcutter,

That is totally unfair  ;D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nice stuff guys.  :)

Howard, Congrats and Thanks to your Daughter for her Camp Care activities.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

We tried chickens and even guineas several times when we first moved here. Fed every fox, coyote, bobcat, possum, coon and hawk in the county till we ran out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

E-Tex

CK.........Very Very NICE!   $$$$$$$$!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Crossroads

Wow, those are some pretty slabs ck 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

E-Tex

up next......

10 Post Oak, 3 Black gum.  14-19"  x  8-11' long

L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

So what will the Black Gum be used for?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

customer is uncertain but wants it cut 10/4 while I'm there milling the PO.  if he can use it he will, if not.......????
L2 Sawmill LLC

WV Sawmiller

More clean up. I ran out of 2' stickers yesterday and had to cut some 4'ers in half to finish stacking. Grabbed 2 ugly little poplar tops about 8' long I had saved for this purpose. I think one yielded a 5.5" cant and other a 6-5/8" cant. Sawed into 1" boards, stood on edge and repeated. Total yield 60 1"X1"X8' strips. Had to quit ahead of another cloudburst so will cut to length tomorrow and stack and sticker them for rapid drying.

Old enough the bark is slipping and some spalting but still solid.

60 total 1"X1"X8' stickers ready to cut to length.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

Had a day off from my day job, was able to saw a Red Oak log that a customer had dropped off.

Cut some clear boards.

And some 4" and 3" slabs with character.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WDH

Black gum :)?  Black gum :)?  Spiral grain city.  Your customer must have a persecution complex  :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Those book matched RO slabs are gonna make something nice. :)

I guess that all of the Black Gum that I have ever sawn was for a bowl turner.

Darrel

Otha's red oak sure is purdy, I'll probably never get to saw any.  Going to saw some more ponderosa pine tomorrow and that is as close to SYP as I'll ever get, as it is in the yellow pine family. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Magicman on May 22, 2018, 05:25:51 PM
So what will the Black Gum be used for?
tooth brushes??

WDH

E-Tex

maybe I can collect my money and leave the job site before the black gum starts....twisting, bowing, cupping, bending, jumping, walking, etc....! :D
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I always do.  I warn customers that have me saw Sweetgum, Pecan, etc.  I tell and show them how to sticker it, but I wonder how it actually got stacked and how the lumber turned out.  ::)

nativewolf

Black Gum makes the best trailer deck material you can find.
Liking Walnut

E-Tex

their arborist and I have both discussed in detail with them about the Black Gum results and the importance of proper stacking, stickering and weighting down (and the likely defects to come).  We are slabbing thick with intention of possibly resawing after drying to reduce defects.  Customer want to try.....so do I! 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

That's the spirit.  When you both go in with your eyes open, it's a learning experience and he is paying.  I have reluctantly sawed stuff in the past, some of which didn't work but some produced amazing results.  Generally the older/larger logs and logs that have "aged" a while are better actors.  

dukecrazy

I've been doing some 1x cutting for a privacy fence using some SYP from my property and finally got a surprise after a lot of cutting, lol.  Looks like some nice .45 target rounds.

G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Magicman

Nice find.  I like to leave them in the boards so that they can be used for a special project.

WV Sawmiller

Still cleaning up around the yard. Sawed up 4 more small 8' long poplar logs for stickers. Actually saved 6-1X6's out of the biggest log in the bunch. Then sawed a couple of ash logs into 3"X6" crib blocks. They would not square to 6X6 so I made 3X6 and saved the side lumber in 1" boards for tomato stakes and stickers. One log was 12' so bucked to a little over 8' then the top, with a small crotch I made 3-2" live edge slabs for benches.

Old poplar tops for stickers and a few pretty 1X6's.

Ash top for crib clocks, stickers and tomato stakes. Have a mobile job coming up as soon as I can get about 3 days of dry weather predicted and when I move the mill I see I need to clean up my slab and sawdust pile.

More ash for crib blocks & tomato stakes. That little top with crotch I bucked off made 3 pretty little live edge slabs for primitive benches.

Final load plus stickers from yesterday. Today's count is about 85 1"X1"X8' stickers, a dozen 1" square tomato 5' stakes with a 3' sticker left over, 6 1X6's, 3 - 3" 2"X3' slabs for benches and 2 -3"X6"X8' crib blocks will make 8 crib blocks.

Pretty decent for such overall yield for such a puny start.
Howard Green

Magicman

You keep that up and you will have nothing left to saw.  Wow, what a feeling to do what is easy to put off.   ;D

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

You are right. Actually these are sawing projects I can sandwich in between the big jobs and recent and on-going contrary weather. They all eventually pay off whether selling tomato stakes, benches or using the stickers, but it often takes a long time. I do need to clear the space because I have a decent order for some poplar 2X6's to fill when the weather permits and I can cut and pull them down the mountainside. 
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!