iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to build a ATV log arch

Started by Kwill, January 26, 2019, 11:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

While my tractor log arch works perfect and I don't know how I did without  it for so long it's time to build one for the four wheeler. I have some places that I have dead trees on the farm but can't get my tractor to or should I say easily to. Well actually getting to them isn't the problem but getting out is. So now its time to build a at log arch. Here is what I have for materials.

This old boat trailer

and these. Got the materials in the shop as we speak and starting the deconstruction of the trailer for the needed parts 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

jb616

Following, as I will be building one soon. I have some rough plans and have an axle stubs & hubs and tongue from an old DOT flashing arrow trailer with 15" wheels and tires. I will be using a 2500 lb. boat winch that I will either use by hand or use my Milwaukee drill.

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Got it up on tires . Tommorow I will pull the 4 wheeler in and see how long the hitch needs to be.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

OHBucknut

Just bought a cheap one from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and been using it lately. Works well enough. Better than rolling the tractor on my self. The hills is why I bought this one.

One thing I can say is that the thing I would watch is getting too long. Trying to move around with the wheels 10-12' back in the timber at least around here wouldn't be practical. 

Kwill

I pick them all the way off the ground. I dont  like dragging logs. dont like sharpening chains and blades that often
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Old Greenhorn

@OHBucknut I have had one of those for a while now. I wound up replacing that strap with cable pretty quick, then I got a 12v boat winch and bolted that on in front of the hand winch and run that cable over the top of the hand winch. I use the electric when I have a long drag into the arch, and just use the hand winch for short lifts. I have moved a bunch of 1500 pound logs. Some barely fit in the arch.  Never did figure out how to use the silly cheap support chain they supply. As with most of their stuff, it takes a little tweaking and modifying to get it to work well.
What Kwil is building is a really nice arch to clean lifting. I am looking at that and thinking "Geez! I could back that arch right over my ground mounted manual band mill and lower the log right on the bunks, what a neat idea!" Nice job Kwill.

By the way (i don't like dulling chains and blades either), I have found that most of the 'junk' gets on my logs during the 'getting them up to the arch' process. I can rarely get the arch over a log where it falls and have to drag it out to an access point. Still working on this issue. Right now, I run a draw knife down the log where the band enters the cut, which seems to help a bit.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Kwill

Nice and light on the hitch  my tractor log arch was a little to heavy. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

My 2 arches i built. Don't worry the lime green paint is coming to #2 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

rubberfish

I'm jealous of you guys that can build your own stuff like that.

I have to hit the local supplier and pay too much for something of lesser quality.  :(
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Magicman

I am thinking that you will still need braces from the legs up to the main beam because those long legs will exert considerable torque on that top joint. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2019, 05:00:53 PM
I am thinking that you will still need braces from the legs up to the main beam because those long legs will exert considerable torque on that top joint.
I'm still looking into that. This arch isn't going to be used on big stuff at all. Just stuff I don't want to take the tractor to. The legs are just 29 inches.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: rubberfish on January 27, 2019, 03:49:08 PM
I'm jealous of you guys that can build your own stuff like that.

I have to hit the local supplier and pay too much for something of lesser quality.  :(
If it wasnt for being able to make stuff i just wouldnt have it. Cant afford to go buy it. I try and find deals on things i can make stuff with at auctions. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Crossroads

You make some pretty cool toy kwill, keep up the good work!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jemclimber

I tend to agree with MM, your atv may still twist it up. Even a few small gussets off the main beam, like you put in the front 90 degree bends, will help a lot to keep it from getting twisted up, and save lots of aggravation time if it happens. It'll only take a few more triangles welded up, and playing with the welder is always time enjoyed, right? 

Both your arches look good. Are you going to put a winch on the smaller one?
lt15

Crusarius

going to do a log saddle like on your big one? 

I would definitely think about reinforcing. You know your going to overload it :) we all do.

I love the lime green!

Thank You Sponsors!