iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer Power Feed Upgrade

Started by mhasel, February 08, 2005, 11:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Well I just received the new sale flyer for Woodmizer just in time for Valentine's day and noticed that on the LT70 they are advertising a NEW Power Feed Upgrade. It sounds like it allows for varied speed in reverse now, which would be great, I've always been un-nerved by the carriage coming back at me around 60mph:)

Has anyone heard or seen this in operation and know if it is available as a retrofit for the LT40?? I may give WM a call to see but figured I'd start here first.

Mike

sparks

The new power feed system does not have a variable reverse. The reverse comes back just like our other mills. The previous system did have a controlled reverse. Super Remote mills can be upgraded to the new system. It is a factory upgrade only and will only be done at the branches. The cost is approx. $1000.00. Super Mills you walk with can be graded. The entire control box assy will have to be replaced. It is a redesigned box. The new components will not fit in the old stlye box. Again this is a factory upgrade only and the cost is high. Approximatly $2800.00.     Thanks All
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Clarification please.

Is the new Power Feed on the LT70s like the "cruse control" on the LT300s where the system sets the feed rate based on the amps pulled on the motor?

We have an LT40 Super with Command Control but the we got no axles and it's nailed to the ground.   Do you have to have the whole mill or just the box?  Or could someone come out and install it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sparks

Bibby, the new p/f is not like the LT300. The last version of LT70's had the forward and reverse speed controlled by the p/f board and the pot. This was done because the torque, when being put in reverse, could wollow out the key way on the motor. The new p/f ramps up the speed allowing us to go back to the reverse not needeing the pot control. The ramping time is about 5 miliseconds. Just enough to keep the head from jerking hard in reverse. The new system can only be installed on LT70 and super mills.
Your mill can be upgraded. We remove the old p/f board, solenoids and wiring from the power box next to the battery. We drill new holes and install a new board and wiring in the same box. Yours, being stationary, would have to be done on site so the additional cost would be mileage to get there. We would have to schedule it somehow since there are only a few who have done the conversion.    I hope I answered all your questions. Give me a call or email me if you need more info.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Thanks for the clarification. 

I did see a fairly new LT70 electric remote recently and the owner talked about how the head glided to a stop and how it was different than he was accustom to on the LT40 he'd had.
Sawing since '94

sparks

Bibby, the LT70 electrical is a horse of a different color. The mill is total AC except for the debarker swing motor, blade guide motor, LubeMizer and laser sight. The p/f and up/down are controlled by computerized inverter drives. This is why the operation is much smoother. Thanks all

Bibbyman

I learn something new every day! 

Now if I could just remember what I learned until tomorrow. :D
Sawing since '94

sparks

Don't worry, I already forgot what we were talking about. ;D

mhasel

Thanks Sparks, sounded too good to be true and not really worth the cost of the upgrade, guess I was hoping for an economical field bolt on. I wish WM had slowed the return speed a little but also understand that the quicker you get back to the end of the mill the higher your production rates.

After starting this post I got to thinking that since I never cut at full speed one might be able to change the ratios on the feed control to accomplish the same thing ;D

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!