iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You folks made me do it!!

Started by 78NHTFY, May 06, 2018, 12:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Quote from: coxy on May 11, 2018, 07:24:40 AM
has any one ever owned or used the 340 jd skidder
I drove a 340D once it was a decent machine.  Basically just a 440c with no turbo it's still bigger than a 440b I think. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

78NHTFY

Helped my buddy at his shop with pulling what needs to be fixed.  Four hours to:
Pull steering/pump; remove brake/pump; remove both steering cylinders/brackets; remove trans cooler.  Everything sitting on the bench or on trays.  Cooler goes out to be reman'd.  Small frame crack get welded.  Buddy will reman steering/pump, brake/pump, one steering cylinder.  I'm good for scraping and cleaning years of crud.  When done, the hydraulic system should be tight!  Not pushing it time wise so 3-4 weeks to have it all back together.  8) 8)  Dug into the beast pretty deep so hopefull no big surprises going forward.  Here are the pics....

If you have time, you win....

dsroten

I'd be interested in seeing the guts of one of those steering cylinders.  I picked up an old 540a recently that has leaky cylinders (among other things), and am trying to decide if I want to monkey with them myself. 

Thats a decent looking machine though, much cleaner than mine  ;D

KyLogger

Steering cylinders are a breeze to repack. And fairly accessable on those machines.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Skeans1

teakwood

it's really not difficult to do the steering cyl on the 440/540s. i did mines all alone 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

78NHTFY

Everything is back together: no leaks, no errors!! 8)  I still knock on wood for luck--good things there's a lot around ;D.  Took 5 wks to get it back from the shop--most of the time was waiting for parts.  Spent the last few days scraping, sanding and painting: for a dub at painting, I think it came out alright!  Couldn't resist painting the "stinger" with a left over can of red paint (don't mean to offend any JD paint color purists out there....).  Still have to find 2 1/4" stencil letter/#'s for the JD 440-B on each side panel.  Will keep you posted on what I get done in the woods.  Here's a before and after pic

.  All the best, Rob.

g_man

Lookin good Rob - Nice job. Have fun in the woods.

gg

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

AlexHart

Ahh memories.  

1) Jiggle the wheel when you start it. 
2) Do NOT winch in park.  
3) Enjoy.  

cutterboy

Rob, you did a really nice job. It looks great!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

78NHTFY

Thanks guys!  
AlexHart--Am definitely enjoying it 8).  Twitched my first load today, some small blowdown. Winched in neutral, as you advised--why not in Park? (Am a newbie with a skidder so need all the help I can get).  And, what are these memories of which you speak?
All the best, Rob.

47sawdust

Don't scratch it now!

Looks really,nice.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GRANITEstateMP

That looks like CASE / IH red, should help keep that Deere goin'!!!  ;D

Looks good, enjoy!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Deere Repellant would be a good name for a IH sled puller.  Seen one that gave me a good chuckle.  

"Not Tonight Deere"
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!