iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Testicular cancer

Started by Wudman, September 04, 2004, 06:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

I was watching a baseball game a couple of weeks ago and they mentioned John Kruk.  Kruk was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few years back when he was playing for the Phillies.  

Occasionally, through the years I have done a self exam of my plumbing.  This mention of Kruk prompted me to do so at that moment.  In doing so, I discovered a small lump in my left testicle.  I was on a business trip in Mississippi at the time.  When I returned home I made a visit to my family doctor.  She was concerned and referred me on to a urologist.  The urologist was very concerned and after a series of test stated that in all probability it was cancerous.  I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday morning.  

The good news is that this is a very treatable disease.  Lance Armstrong is proof of that.  The bad news for me is that it is going to put me out of commission for a while.  I'm pretty much at peace with the whole deal.  The hardest part for me was telling my daughter and my Mother.  

Watching a baseball game may have saved my life.  I hope everyone that reads this will be aware and monitor themselves for any potential problems.  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Buzz-sawyer

wudman
prayin for you in Illinois... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

etat

And wishing you the best of luck.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

Gee, Wudman. We always hate to hear "the C word."  I'm sure glad you were wise enough to check yourself out and then follow up on it. I'm bettin' that, as a result, you'll be just fine. I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday, just the same. Good luck. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandmar

Thoughts and prayers will be with you Wudman. Just remember this FF crew is a hardy bunch!.....you will be fine ;)

Sandmar

Wudman

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

DanManofStihl

I hope the surgery went Ok you will be in my prayers tonight. Its always hard to her about someone getting that my grandpa Had cancer in his lungs about 3 years ago very hard. Hope it went ok
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Jeff

We're all there with ya Wudman.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wudman

Hey guys.....my surgery went well and I'm back at home.  I'm actually feeling pretty good.  I'm a little sore, but other than that I'm ok.  I haven't had any problems eating so that part is great.  Right now we're waiting on a pathology report and a CT scan in order to plot a path forward.  A chest X-ray done yesterday was clean so that was good news.  Either way, the prognosis for a full recovery is good.  Hopefully, I'll be back to sawing soon.  Thanks to all for the prayers and best wishes.

Wudman
aka Jeff
Charlie Daniels

Buzz-sawyer

Glad your home wudman..... 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Norm

Glad to hear your doing well Wudman. :)

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Wudman

I just wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers.  Things right now are looking pretty good.  The tumor was cancerous, but it appears that nothing had spread.  My CT scan was clean and my latest bloodtest was back to normal.  Going forward, I'll be on a regular testing schedule for a few years but things appear to be going my way.  Doc let me go back to work this week, but told me to lay off the cant hook for a little longer.  I'm itching to get back to it.  Once again, Thanks guys........you're a great bunch.

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

Furby

Norm

Mark M

That's pretty scary! My friend had the same thing about 20 years ago. Last I heard he's still kicking.

Glad to hear you are over the hard part!

sawguy21

Glad to hear you are up and running, Wudman. That C word is one of the scariest I know. Did you hear how Kruk was diagnosed? Mitch "Wild thang" Williams nailed him with a pitch so hard it broke the cup. They carried him off, no kidding, and found the cancer during the examination.He had been in pain but was afraid of losing playing time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timber_Framer

I sure wish youo the best of luck and a full recovery
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Haytrader

A young college student from our little town just had one gonad removed for the same reason.
Any one know the stats or percentages of this occuring?
Good to hear you are home and doin good, Wudman.
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!