iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it ???

Started by Kbeitz, October 21, 2017, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Can anyone one id what this is or what it's off of?
It looks like it might be a lathe chuck but I never seen a two
jaw lathe chuck. Maybe just a vise? It has Dovetails in the jaws.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

I think its just a self centering vise.  The dovetails hold the actual vise jaws which would be hard steel.  Just my guess as I've never seen one exactly the same as yours.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

North River Energy

I have a smaller two-jaw lathe chuck with similar dovetails. You can make specific slide in jaws to hold a particular (and short) piece of work, and it's very quick to clamp and release the work for production.

Probably in common use prior to the advent of collets.

Kbeitz

I bought the vise to make twisted bars like this. The vise will be on the tailstock side of a home made
metal lathe and a large 4 jaw chuck will be on the headstock side powered by a large slow turning
gearbox motor.

something like this but much bigger and heavier.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

maple flats

Twisting bar stock is a common blacksmithing procedure but unless the steel or iron is properly heated I'm not sure it could be repeated with any uniformity. While a common procedure it is also an art to get it uniform.
Good luck!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

JB Griffin

It would much easier to get a uniform twist whilst the metal is cold. The trick to even twists is absolutely uniform heat or in this case lack thereof.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

The picture I posted is from Dominican Republic. I was watching them twist
the iron cold by hand. They had no help from any power type tools. I know what
I build will have the power to twist it cold and the way I'm going to build the
machine will keep it pulled taunt so I'm hoping it works. I'm open for ideas.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Coltbodi

I've twisted a lot of barstock and always did it hot and it came our very well. For short stuff I throw it in the forge and work it in the vise. But for long stuff we have a setup kind of like you talked about, a vise on 1 side and a slow turning motor on the other, but we have a forge that is open on both sides on a track. So we heat it up and roll the forge down as we roll it with the motor. It works well for long stuff such as handrails and they come out very uniform, just takes patience. And if you ever do something made of more than one piece, say 4 pieces of 3/8" cold roll turned together then you would have to do it hot.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Kbeitz

I got a forge but I was hoping I did not have to use it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Coltbodi

I guess it depends what kind of setup you have. I've never tried to twist it cold, it's pretty darn easy hot though. And I've twisted 1" stock before pretty easily out of the forge.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

millwright

That machine has some serious power

Larry

My Dad worked for the power company.  He was on a job wrecking an old transmission line.  Every night he brought home cross arm braces.  They were flat steel about 1 1/4" X 5/16" and 3' long.  His intention was to weld a fence to enclose our backyard.  I got the job of twisting the braces into a spiral just like that machine.  He had a vise rigged up to hold one end and a pipe for the brace to fit into so it would remain straight.

He gave me a big bar to do the twisting and I was to do so many every night after school.  He would weld them into the top and bottom rails of the fence when he got off work.  It was cruel and unusual child labor....at least that's what I thought at the time. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Coltbodi

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 22, 2017, 08:28:21 PM
Looks like it can be done cold...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ForKWthpxz8

Oh it defiantly can be done with the right equipmeant. I'd love to know what size motor and gearing are in that machine. If I could afford one I'd defiantly have it, but for now, I'll just get it hot. Lol

whitepine2

There was a shop in town that made one with a slow turning gear and what looked like a model A transmission it could turn all sorts of stuff,this was there bread and butter.

Reddog sawmill

I helped my grandfather twist hundreds of feet of it COLD with a pipe threader we rigged up and a vice on the other end to keep it streight. Perfect spiral every time.

Thank You Sponsors!