iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Put in a toilet got a Stihl 028 Super Wood boss

Started by Rusticcreations, May 28, 2016, 06:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

So I helped a non mechanically inclined friend of mine put in a new toilet which took all of 30 minivans he gave me a Stihl 028 av super,

This thing sounds like a beast compared to my husky 455 rancher, I'm curious what is the longest bar this saw could handle?

What is this saw worth on average, it's not mint by any means lol.

ScottAR

16-18 inch is recommended if I recall.  it's a 50 cc class machine.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rusticcreations

When measuring the current bar on it now where do you measure from? I measured all the visable bar and got 16"

Al_Smith

Those are ruggedly built saws on the same line as the 042-048 and 038-380-381 series.

Relatively easy to work on ,parts are easy to find . With normal care it should last a good long while cutting firewood .

That size saw is the break off size .It could run 3/8" chain or .325.

Caloren

I run a 20" bar and .325 chain on my 028 Super AV. If you bury the chain in wood it will slow down, so a shorter bar may be better, but I like mine the way it is.  8)
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Mad Professor

You will like that saw.  Built like a tank and a bit heavy by todays saws.  But it will last a good long time if taken care of.  Look over the rubber lines, filters, intake boot, AV mounts, it is > 20 years old.  A good cleaning always helps too.  Make sure cooling system, clutch, and flywheel are free of crud.

16-18" 0.325 is the sweet spot for that saw in hardwoods.  You can run a 20" but don't lean on it.

Thank You Sponsors!