iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New shoes and more.

Started by Jeff, March 12, 2017, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have some big sawing plans for my 31 year old sawmill this year, so now that I have a place to work, some things are gonna change!  I plan on reworking the battery side of the mill so I can use a standard size battery and redoing the wiring rats nest in the "control box" probably relocate it as well. New tow wire and lights. New sawing scales if i can get them and ya never know, maybe even a little paint.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Gonna be purty. Don't forget the dielectric grease  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Darrel

watching, anxiously expecting great things!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

We will enjoy watching that old gal get a facelift.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sawing plans?   ;D  Whatcha going to be sawing-building?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I have all that cedar up to my property that I was going to build a cabin with. It can't sit another year. Well over 100 logs yet. There is also 20 bigger tamarack stacked up there too. I want to build about 100 feet of fence and also a building to replace the quansit tent that stores my mowers and quad.

Chuck White

Looks like it's going to be a busy year for you Jeff, Good luck!    smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

porcupine

We've seen the before photo and will be waiting for the "after"
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

slider

Don't get any orange paint on the bird.
al glenn

Jeff

The bird and the sawmill will not be coexisting anywhere there might be paint. :) 

Treehack

Sounds like a lot of work(FUN).  Will be looking forward to the progress updates.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

isawlogs

Once I get my mill out of the where it sits... Still wayto much snow to think of getting anywheres near it with any kind of towing vehicule, the battery box is on the to do list ... It has completly rottted out and I  had to strap it on the finish sawing last fall. Is yours also under the sawhead on that model.. i'm assuming it is. I  can put a large car battery in mine, what size do you have in that mill Jeff???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My friend that was killed on his farm had a mill that looks like yours Jeff.
He never let me saw with it but I helped him move lumber on and off for 23 years.
Its good seeing an up close pic of your mill.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

BTW that ceiling looks good too.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

Quote from: isawlogs on March 13, 2017, 09:56:36 AM
Once I get my mill out of the where it sits... Still wayto much snow to think of getting anywheres near it with any kind of towing vehicule, the battery box is on the to do list ... It has completly rottted out and I  had to strap it on the finish sawing last fall. Is yours also under the sawhead on that model.. i'm assuming it is. I  can put a large car battery in mine, what size do you have in that mill Jeff???

It only allows you to put one of those long skinny batteries. Not sure of the dimensions, but they are certainly not over 5 inches. I'll need to remove the fender mount and redo that, that will give me room for the battery to pass past the wheel. I want to build a new box, and relocate the elecrrical panel there as well.  As it is, if you have the head all the way down, and if the battery dies, you can't get to the battery without considerable fiddle-fating around.

Quote from: paul case on March 13, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
BTW that ceiling looks good too.

PC

Yea it do don't she? smiley_smug01

paul case

My 706 Farmall USED TO have a battery like that. Them are more expensive than a regular car battery and dont last anywhere near as long. A revamping to accept the same size and type battery your pickup takes will be doin you a big favor.

I wonder if you could build a whole nother battery box either behind or in front of the head high enough to clear the tire or axle so you didnt have to change it around?
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

isawlogs

Mine big enoughto fit a regular car battery.. That being said, if it goes and dies on you, it is under the headrig as yours, only way I found to get to it is to boost from the starter wich is not that easy, or bring power to the alternator much easier access.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

OR you can hand crank the pulley on the up/down gear box for half a day to get it up far enough to get the cover off.
Don't ask how I know.
Jump to the pos post on the alt. Much easier.

I must do it the hard way first.

Jeff,
Is your mill a lt40 or 30 hyd? Can't remember. Maybe I need to sit down.
PC
pc

Jeff

Or you can manually spin the up motor pulley a quarter million times. (DITTO) Paul beat me to the post ;)

I hate that battery. My big concern right now is it's not charging, or, the charge isn't getting back to the battery. If its that the mag has lost magnetism, I'm pretty much toast. That part, if you can find it, costs more than the onan is worth. Parts like the coil are impossible to find, and other parts are horribly expensive. Simple carb kit is like 40 bucks. If you want a float with that, double.  I'm hoping the shady wiring is the culprit.

LT30 manual.

paul case

Yeah thats the same luck I have had with onan parts. If it was mine and ''if'' it happened to have an extra pulley I would add the automotive alternator. That would keep that battery hot.

PC
pc

Magicman

By design, I would have to use a jump battery to raise the head if the battery died.  Deters thieves from stealing the battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

And you cant do that easily  without the keys.

PC
pc

Jeff

I plan on building a lockable battery box.

Kbeitz

I got 4 garden tractors with the onans. I dont think the prices
are bad at all off E-bay...

New coils      $63.00
Carb kits.      $24.00
Stater           $120.00 (thats a little high)
Rings             $22.00
Carburetor     $86.00
Piston+rings   $56.00
gasket set      $30.00
V-Regulator    $54.00

I think you would pay at least this much for other engine parts.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

The carb for my engine is almost 300 bucks. The parts are hit and miss on ebay. Many don't fit. Been there, done that.

Thank You Sponsors!