iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever see this???

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 24, 2003, 03:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

It's "Curly Pine". Seldom seen. It occurs about every 500 trees or so, I'm told.   IT IS HARD.  The outside of the tree has "bumps". The bigger the area covered by bumps, the better the Curl. Only get it in the 1st or 2nd board. This piece was 1st board and the dia was 18" on a 16 foot log.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Yep, that's what it is.  :)   I've been told that some curly pine boards have sold for as much as $30 a board foot.

I've also been told that the occurance of culy pine is more in the range of 1 in 10,000 trees.   I don't know.  I do know that it is very infrequently seen and most folks don't know what it is.   I've seen it go to fence boards and board and batten.  The customer didn't care if it was valuable or not

music_boy

Would "bumps" on the exterior bark of other species indicate that pattern? I see Maples that have alot of bumps. I was told that was indicative of "Birds Eye". Could it be curly maple?
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Fla._Deadheader

Guess you will hafta cut one and report back, eh???
  As I drive around, near where we are diving, I see LOTS of power poles that are pretty "Bumpy". Maybe I otter start packin the ole Stihl??? ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

music_boy

Those bumps might turn out to be insulators. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hard on a chain :D
HHUUMM...........Early, curly creosote
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

BW_Williams

Hey Harold, not sure what they use for power poles in FLA, but here in the PNW they use WRC and after a couple decades the soft wood erodes away from wind, snow, etc. leaving the harder knots.  It's really evident when I remove the pole ID tags before sawing and that wood is original and raised 1/2".  Wish I had a pic it's kinda hard to explain.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Fla._Deadheader

BW, I used to climb them WRC. Know whatcha mean about the exterior wood missin. We had a few on the Ocean right of way that took a beatin from Northeasters and hurry canes.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!