iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small forwarding trailer

Started by mac, October 10, 2005, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

I am thinking of building  a small forwarding trailer with a log loader anyone ever done this. any ideas or pictures  thanks in advance !

whitepine

Take a look at novajack system if you are looking at a small triler for atv or under 20 hp tractor. They use a winch for loading but are similar in design to majaco trilers. I can weld but not real good and the $2500 plus 1500 mile freight was to much for me. I had one built locally just like it for $1500 with boggey wheels really neat. Also baileys has one for sale looks good to. Some outfits will sell just the trailer  or just the loader. I have tried the majaco really nice but $10000 is alot of firewood for me.

mac

Whitepine i was thinking of something a little bigger than the novajack. I would like be able to haul 16' stuff. I don't have problem with building the trailer its the loader i am stumpt on. thought about a old three point backhoe. but i don't know how much lifting they would stand?

OneWithWood

Mid sized loaders are available.  Google Farmi for starters.  I am sure there are others but I can't think of the names off hand.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

maple flats

Patu makes some fine mid size loaders.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Craig

Greetings!

Go to http://www.valbysales.com/

They have loaders, forwarding trailers and everything else you can imagine for small scale forestry.

You also get some good ideas looking at the photos, loader mounts and trailers.

Hope that helps!

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

mac

I have looked at most of the factor built trailers. I just don't want to spend that much money :'( or maybe its just more fun to build it your self. Surely one of you guys have built something to load logs with.

Frank_Pender

Mac, I have someone in the process of doing just that, building a trailer to haul a loader   that will be used to put logs into my F450.   I am using a smaller sized log truck loader for the purpose.  The axels are 20k each with the spring inside the axel to help keep the whole unit closer to the ground.    The outriggers will be swing out type and just with a simple drop and pin leg design.   It will have a twenty foot reach with a winch located on the main deck and a farelead hanging from the first section of the boom and a second from the end of the second section of boom.  the winch will be used to yard logs that cannot be reached by the grapples.
Frank Pender

mac

Fank how about some pictures of it in progress. I like to see other peoples ideas come to life. worked in the auto body repair buisness for about 20 years, can appreciate a good work of art.

Dakota

Mac,
I designed and built a loader for my utility trailer.  It can be installed on any size trailer.  I've got a few pictures I took while building it, if you're interested.

Dave Rinker

beenthere

Do you slip it off the trailer and onto the truck bed to load those logs on the truck as well?  Or are those short bolts hand loaded onto the truck bed? 

Looks like a workable log loader. Can't see if it's an electric winch or hand powered.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

Mac, I would love to show some pictures of it in progress, but the builder is a bit slow and getting things put together.  I have gathered all of the pieces, but getting him to put them together has been a challenge. ::) ::) ::)
Frank Pender

Dakota

beenthere,
The loader on the trailer has a 2500 lbs. electric winch to roll the logs up the ramps.

The logs on the pickup flatbed were just thrown on by hand.

Dave
Dave Rinker

beenthere

Thanks, nice rig for loading. Do the legs of the ramps then stick upright in the stake pockets for trailering logs after loading?

PS
Check with Chet, as he now knows how to get the left rear taillight to work.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deadeye

deadeye

sorry about that my daughter hit enter.
i bought a majaco log loader and trailer four years ago. it's a 14 ft reach with a 10 ton tailer under it  it came with a steering assit  hitch.  i can load about 1000 ft of logs mix lenght per load and have made extenstions that let me put 1500ft or 5 cord of 8ft fire wood.  the machine is all std. mesure unlike alot of the others i looked at that are metric. i've tried a lot of different ones and this seem to be the best for the money. paid 13000 can for it and it's worth every penny.  http://www.anderson-machineries.com/English/home.html

Dakota

beenthere,
The ramps just pop off and then I stow them under the logs.  The logs are held on with a front and rear comealong.
Dave
Dave Rinker

mac

thanks guys for all the info. very helpful, My cousin is a  vo-ag teacher and has some students  that need a project . I printed some pictures of some of the forwarding trailers you guys posted and give them to him. My cousin said they have students  that are willing to work but have no money for a project. I think if kids are willing they need a chance. 8)

woodmills1

there is one I never saw before in sawmill and woodlot  called blue ox at    blueoxequipment.com        didnt find a price
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Millsy, as luck would have it, I got a close-up look at a Blue Ox trailer with loader today.  I was just traipsin about the show at Moultrie and there it was, right across from Peterson's tent.

This is the big guy, and has every option they offer.  $48k  Nice looking piece of equipment, though.  You'd need a 2-ton truck for this one.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

nice but add 50K for truck thats a quick 100 grand

Thank You Sponsors!