iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DH demo at Sawing Project 2019 in Rentz, GA

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, February 11, 2019, 08:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you haven't checked the SAWING BOARD here, you might have missed the posting called SAWING PROJECT 2019, April 5-6 in Rentz, GA.  A bunch of sawmillers and lumber driers get together for demos, sharing, good food, campfire entertainment, etc.  This year will include practical DH drying instruction and demo on April 5, and quartersawing demo on the 6th.  Please pre-register.

I will be leading the practical DH drying instruction, with handouts, but we expect Yellow-Hammer will be there plus others to share practical tips too.  It is a far distance for K=Guy to come from Maine, but maybe his company can afford to have him come and thaw out.

If this is your first time attending, bring comfortable chair, food to share and guitars, banjos, etc.  Many bring their spouses too.  Motels nearby
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

I hope to be there Gene. You taught me a class back around 2003 or 4.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

xlogger

Stan, if you do go I'll be out on 85 waiting for a ride, 7 hour drive for me. :D
I've never been to one always had some reason, might try to go this year.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Good news.  We will have several Delmhorst moisture meters to give away, as well as, some small cans of UC Coatings.  Also Sawmill and Woodlot magazine.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

doc henderson

Doc Wengert, cannot wait to meet you and hear you speak.  Thanks to all who are sponsoring this event.  I know we will continue to get info as the time draws near.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

CONCERNING THE DH CLASS

I have arranged for the donation of two Delmhorst Moisture Meters, 30 cans of B/O/S/S/ from Anchorseal, Copies of Sawmill and Woodlot magazine.  Plus there will be handouts, copies of which are being donated.  It also looks like the top technical guy from NYLE will be attending.

Tentative Agenda- -Suggestions welcome
DH DRYING SEMINAR TOPICS

KEY:  Set the Quality Requirements Desired (especially final MC)

1.  How Wood Dries- -Drying is controlled by RH, temperature, and air flow; Define EMC

2.  Shrinkage- -When does green lumber start to shrink?  What grain directions is shrinkage?  How does dry lumber shrink?  Special shrinkage issues.

3.  Moisture Content Measurement to Run a Kiln Kiln
   - Weighing (Requirements and techniques)
   - Moisture Meters (Under 30% MC)

4.  Wood Characteristics that Affect Drying- -Tree and log concerns; sawing affects; bacteria

5.  Drying Defects
   - Warp- -Causes and cures
   - Surface checking, interior checking (honeycomb) and end checking- -Causes    and cures, with emphasis on oak
   -Stain—Causes and cures, with emphasis on maple and ash
   - Drying Stress- -Measurement and growth stress issues

6.  Kiln Operations
   - Kiln Start-Up for Green, Frozen, Air-Dried
   - Kiln Schedules and Modification of Steam Schedules
   - Equalizing and Conditioning
   - Safe Drying Rate

7.  Compressor Operation- -Theory, Tips and Maintenance

8.  Thick Lumber and Slab Drying Tips

9.  Steaming Walnut

doc henderson

Sounds good Gene.  any booklets or info for us new guys to read in prep for your course.  can we see a copy of your hand out to use in preparation?  I have read a lot of your info, and I think there is a soak in period for us new people.  Just want to get as much out of your presentation as poss. thanks.  and yes, I will try to sit in the front row!!!

:P :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I'm going to leave the above post this time, because it would be a mess to move it, but our rules are the same and they have not changed. It is not allowed to post duplicate posts in multiple forums just because you want it to get more attention unless you of course are an admin, or you have advanced permission. 19 years that has been the rule.
I will grant permission after the fact on this one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The DH Drying handout is complete.  See the Sawmilling Forum for details on how to get a copy in advance.

Thank You Sponsors!