iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How old is this stump?

Started by RPowers, November 30, 2015, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I recently bought 86 acres of Ozarks hill country hardwoods. I am hoping to start managing it for stand improvement over the next rest of my lifetime. The last time it was logged they took a really, really thick and nice crop of Red and White oak off the land. I am wondering if you can get a rough idea of how many years ago it was cut by the condition of the old stumps? This is a picture of a red oak stump, about 18" wide. Its condition would be about average for decay against all the others here.

This is in the ozark hills, about 4' of rain a year, on a ridgetop.
What's your guess pro loggers??

Ryan
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

beenthere

Here in WI, that stump would be from a tree cut about 25-35 years ago. Prolly less in AR.

But a good way to possibly tell, would be to take an increment core from adjacent trees close by to this stump to see when they may show a growth spurt from being released from the competition of this tree.

Or you can possibly read that date from observing wider ring widths from a tree cut down nearby.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

we get alot rain here, i'd put it at 20-30 years

Nemologger

I'm cutting a track right now that I cut in 1995, My old stumps look just like that one...so Id say 20 years
Clean and Sober

RPowers

Thanks a ton gents. At least I have an idea of about 20-30 years since last harvest. My guess was 25 so I am glad that I'm not off. The only large trees (over 20") left are hollow or crooked. I wish they wouldn't have just high graded the whole stand. Some areas that have ~20-30 stumps/acre of nice (18-24") oak are now nothing but the sugar maple that was the understory and took over. I like the sugar maples and am going to try to make a side-biz out of making syrup in the winter, but It would be nice to have a couple of those big oaks left to look at. Maybe my kids will see the younger ones grow into that quality.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

terry f

Beenthere is on to something with the rings of a nearby tree, probably give you the right date.

CCC4

I'm gonna low ball it at 15 to 20, not for argument sake, just what I'm gonna put my bid in at. If the timber was logged during the Winter it may be older.

Where is Wesley? Edit...I just looked it up, heck I log down near ya every year...well, Heber and Concord area.

timberking

Google Earth will allow you to go back to older photos and that might help.  I can view back to 1995

timberlinetree

I know down in va they rot pretty quick compaired to new england. Not to shure about ar.I would say no more than 15 yrs.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!