iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood saw

Started by thedeeredude, December 12, 2005, 02:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

What is a good saw for getting in firewood.  My relative is looking at getting a new saw and is unsure what to get.  He has a husky 350 and a Craftsman now.  The craftsman is the one getting replaced.  I told him to look at echo cs 440 or 520 with 18" bars or a John Deere.  What else would be a good saw for him? I was also thinking the 54cc Makita.  Thanks.

rebocardo

Unless you plan on doing your own repairs, sometimes it starts by who is the closest dealer?

Why is the saw being replaced and how much firewood is being cut? What price range ?

Is he dropping trees or cutting delivered wood? If dropping trees is it mostly being used for small trees, maybe 14-20 inches or from larger trees in the 30 inch range? How old is he and is using the Huksy 350 already at his limits on saw size and weight?

thedeeredude

Well its cutting deadfall for his own woodstove, his kid can use the saw so physical problems are no big deal.  There is a dealer close by that will work on most saws, so its not a problem.

Rocky_J

If you're going to look at Makita/Dolmar, then skip the old 540 and instead look at the new 5100. Much better power and all reviews seem to be good so far. A friend of mine should be getting his in the next couple days and I'm looking forward to comparing it with my new 346XP.

GlennG

I also like Dolmar saws. I agree with with RockyJ but if your a homeowner cuting a few cords a year then the 540 is not a bad choice at all. The 540 is a solid and dependable saw. Plus there is a member  here(MacPower) selling a 540 at a price that is hard to walk away from. I purchased the 6400 and 7300 from him. I was 100% happy with our transaction, MacPower is a stand-up guy.

Here is the link to the Dolmar saws that he has available

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15104.0

Glenn

Cut4fun

That Dolmar 540 for $255 seems the way to go. The new Dolmar 5100 is going for $389-$409 so I am told. But it is your money and I am CHEAPscape.

SawTroll

The downside of the 540 is that it is a downrated version of an old construction.
The 5100S should be worth the price sifference, even though he is cutting just a few cords a year.
If he has a Husky 350, the Dolmar 540 makes no sence at all to me. ::)

Even the 5100S is still another 3 cube saw, so I would suggest that he take a look at something larger for his second saw.
Stihl MS 361 and Husky 357xp comes to mind..... ;D
If that is too much money, the John Deere/Efco 62 cc saws may fill the bill....
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!