iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the advantages: WM LT40 Super vs. LT70?

Started by Curly_Woods, September 03, 2002, 09:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly_Woods

OK.  I am curious what the WM owners here can tell me about the real differences between the LT40 Super and the new LT70.  We are considering adding a bandsaw mill to our operation and the WoodMizer's are high on our list.  What does the $5K difference really buy you?  We plan on remaining stationary, under shed.  

Bibbyman

Well,  there are a number of beefier features on the LT70.  Lets see..

Back supports are taller and are 2" rods that run vertically.  Looks like they would stand more abuse and stay in alignment better.

Chain style log turner vs. the arm with claw.

Larger steel blade wheels allow the use of ceramic blade guides and longer blades.  Blades should run longer between changes.

Air blather blade tensioner - said to be more consistent.

Direct drive power feed of the single column mask with larger cam bearings.

Auto clutch that is an idler pulley system vs. engine tilt on the LT40.

The remote station model (you may be considering if you're going stationary) can be moved from place to place around the mill vs. on the LT40 it's fixed on the hitch ends.

We knew something about the LT70 before it was introduced but didn't want to wait so we got the LT40HDE25-RA.  We are really impressed with the machine and think it will meet or needs for as long as we expect to be in business.  But I think if someone was wanting to run one at full capacity day in and day out,  they'd be far better off getting the LT70.

Whatever model you chouse, get the Accuset.

First pictures of LT70 at open house in Mt. Vernon, MO
Note: this pictures are of the prototype unit and does not have the vertical back supports.

Pictures taken of mills at the WM open house inc LT70, LT80 and LT300
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodbowl

Now that a few years have passed since this thread was up, I'm hopeful that there are a lot of proud new owners of the LT40 Super and LT70's and that they will give us an update.
    What's the latest exciting news concerning these two mills?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

MartyParsons

Curly_Woods
The LT70, I will add to Bibbys post, The board return has guides and is heavier than the LT40Super. The blade tensioner is air pressure bag the keeps consistant pressure on the blade. Log Chain turner let you turn the log clockwise or counter clockwise. The saw head up/down is much faster. The forward feed system is direct drive (no belt). Accuset and Lubemizer is not an option.( Standard equipment)  A true Remote operator station, (You can saw with the saw head moving towards you or you can saw with the saw head moving away from you) (This is optional) Comes standard with a board return table. Hydraulics functions are electric activated. (The LT40 is mechanical) The blade guide arm is much heavier and easier to adjust. The Blade guide rollers and the guides are heavier and have 2 Ez glide pads top and bottom of the blade for each roller. Hinged Blade covers. Can be easier adapted to Log in feed decks and conveyors. We have different engine/motor options. 51 or 62 Cat and a 25 hp all AC operation three phase electric. the 51 hp mill is not common ( in our area). I had two LT70HDD62-RX mill go out this week. and we have two E25 coming in that are sold.
   Do I sound like I am in sales?  ::) The LT70 is not for every sawier. It takes a couple more min set up time for custom sawiers who move a couple of times a day. My opinion you need an assistant, this is not a one man operation. But, if the helper does not show up you can change the operator station and do a 1 man day with no problems.  I realy like this mill.  ;D Most customers are using a .055 1 1/2 wide bands. ( In our area)Larger band wheels than the LT40  (All comments on the LT40 are refering to a Super Hydraulic with Command control)
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Percy

Well, Ive had an LT70 for 3 years now. Aside from playing guitar in a weekend band(6-7000 per year) the mill has been my  sole source of income. There is several LT40 supers around, one of which has a 42 hp kubota, same as mine. I think as far as cutting speed goes, its identical to mine. Where the 70 shines is in "speed to the next cut" department. Today ,  my som Warren and I cut 4000 bdft of bridge timbers outta spruce. The dragback can pull these 8x12x16 beams offa the mill easy. Even when there is one ontop of the other. That is such a huge time saver. The chain turner which I hated when I first got the mill is another piece that shines once you get on to it. No comparison to the "claw". Allthough  the claw on an lt40 has an advantage, when turning a large cant, the bunks are automatically cleaned by the turning cant where as the 70's chain turner kinda lifts the log up and bark/crud/yadda gets trapped under there and you have to watch for it more than you would on a Lt40.

I have over 2200 hours on the 70 and its tuffer than an orphans life story :D :D
Im glad I bought one....it makes me money.... ;D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!