iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM blade guide roller upgrade...

Started by ElectricAl, September 05, 2002, 07:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

We are thinking of switching to the new style roller with the ceramic puck under the blade. Cost is $325.  

Any one make the change and the modifications.

Do you think it's worth the $325?  

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

We made "the change" when we got our new mill so I can't really tell you how much the new style guide improved performance.  We've been impressed with the overall performance of the mill.

One thing I can tell you,  The guides need to be adjusted for blade thickness.  They run with a couple thousand clearance and if you've got them adjusted for .042 blades and you try to slip on an .045,  they may not be enough clearance and a .055 blade just won't fit until you open the guide spacing up. It only takes a minute to adjust them so it's no big deal but it's something you may want to consider if you switch thickness of blades often.

It's also a little harder to get the blades on and off.  You've got to hold your mouth just right to get the blade started between the guides.  Again, no big deal but takes a little more attention to detail.

We haven't had to replace a disk yet although they have a couple of chips in them.  I understand they are pretty expensive.  

If it's about time to replace the old rollers and bearings, then you could subtract that cost from the $325 and look at it that way.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!