iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making money with you Alaskan mill?

Started by Oregon_Rob, September 16, 2002, 04:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Rob

Is anyone making money with you Alaskan mill, and if so, what are you doing?
I am playing with my set up and wondering if anyone is making money and what types of markets you are in. My first though is to be able to cut what ever hard wood that comes along and sell to the wood workers and or milling custom beams for contractors. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
My intent is to some day move up to a real mill, I am just trying to learn as much as I can about sawing, and lumber for now. I am not willing to go in debt to start up. I am saving and if there was a way that I could make some extra money and start to build up from there, that would be even better.

Thanks,

Rob
 :P
Chainsaw Nerd

Frank_Pender

Rob, I would suggestthat you wrok the idea of beams and mantle pieces.  Specialize in oneor two items to begin you business venture.   With the spread of the word that you are cutting those two items, you will find that some people will want other dimensions.   With increased demands you will see where the need lies for your business.   Barn builders sometimes like to use large beams for headers over doorways or special openings.  Check with some fireplace builders who use wooden mantles and you may find some interesting spin-offs for cutting special dimensions.
Frank Pender

KiwiCharlie

G'day Rob,

I make a bit from slabs with the Alaskan.  Im not into doing dimension timber (smaller sizes), but could always do it if asked.  I tend to like the slabs too much to sell!!, but need to get a bit more realistic on what I can deal with myself. :-/
Very much part time right now, but will one day soonish, head for the hills and give it a crack full time.  Have made a couple of slabs into finished items.  There can be some good money made there.  Just time, time, time.
I too want a blade mill, but thats down the track a bit! :)
Beams are a great idea.  Hard to find round these parts.  Thats where the custom (and sometimes very odd) sizes you can cut with the Alaskan, make it so good.  Might be heavy 'Manuel de labor' ;), but sometimes it cant be touched by other mills. They all have their place.  The MKIII will always have a place in my line up, no matter what else I get into, in the future.
Cheers,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Rob,
If you do a few demos at local fairs it might bring you some business.
Remote locations such as snowmobile trails and wilderness trails require bridges which require beams and depending on your local laws there might be some demand  there.
You can target these but you`ll need to transport your slabbing rail along with the rest of the gear.
The big sell is with milling large trees on site without heavy equipment which leads to no negative impact on the land.

Oregon_Rob

Guys,
Thanks very much for the ideas, they are all very good. I think you understand well where I am coming from.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!