iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boot input?

Started by gman98, April 13, 2018, 05:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'm looking to get a new set of boots for the summer and need some input.  During the summer I do pre-commercial thinning and planting crew management.  This means a lot of PCT layout, as well as planting and thinning plots.  I wear chainsaw boots doing thinning plots (they are the only boots that will hold up to the task), but I'm looking for another pair for regular work and weekend logging. I'm tossing up between the danner loggers, Georgia lace to toe loggers, and the Chippewa square toe loggers.  What are you guys opinions on those boots?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

nativewolf

I would suggest taking a look at Haix boot offerings.  I've never spent that sort of money on boots before but man do I think it was a good idea now.  Composite not steel toe (warmer), I can walk all day without aching feet, cut proof to boot.  I am a mite bit clumsy so cut proof was another benefit.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

My caulk boots are Wesco and my regular work boots are danner line men boots, a 16" tall boot seems to help me walking in the brush.

celliott

I'll second the haix boots. I have the protector primes, awesome boot but they are pricey.
They're so comfortable and rugged/well made and waterproof I will never again buy a pair of the high heeled leather logger style boots. I've had American Chippewa's over the years and they don't hold a candle to the haix boots.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

just farming

I just purchased a pair of White's Boots Lineman/Logger last Sunday. They're not cheap but after the second day they sure do feel good. I have worn Chippewa and Red Wing loggers as well. At $300.00 I didn't like the service of the Chippewas and they never did fit the way I thought they should. The Red Wings are insulated and see only limited winter use, but they fit like a glove. The good thing about the White's is they will completely rebuild them for $100.00 or less. That makes the sticker shock a little more bearable.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Mack Superliner RW613 Dump
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4
Deutz-Fahr Agroplus 87 4X4

Skeans1

Another place that has their boots made by White’s is Madsens. Another name to look into is Nick’s out of Spokane, and Kulien boots but have your wallet out for any of these 300 is a cheap pair of boots. My last set of custom Wesco was just shy of 900 but worth every dime 10 years of falling before they’re due for a rebuild.

BargeMonkey

I've never owned Danners. The Georgia boots dont seem to be the quality they once where. I've got a pair of the American Chippawas, EDITED BY ADMIN, NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THE FORESTRY FORUM WHICH IS A FAMILY SITE and they still keep taking it, that's what I will buy again.

petefrom bearswamp

Wore out 2 pairs of Danners over my 25 year career as a consultant forester.
One pair resides at my adk camp for emergency use, but is barely serviceable.
But I was only walking and not felling.
Much easier on footgear
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

quilbilly

I have a pair of whites going on 5+years great shape still, however I am easy on shoes. All my stuff seems to last longer than most. I think it depends what temps and conditions you're in and whether or not you like maintenance. With leather boots like Wesco, Nick's, White's, etc you need to maintain them. I have a $100 pair of aku boots that fit well and are waterproof. I wear them in summer or when running the skidder. Leather boots are heavy and can be a bit warm, but if I was cutting everyday they'd be my go to.
a man is strongest on his knees

KyLogger

I have had really good luck with the Red Dawgs from Bailey's. I have had two pair of Vibrams and a pair of calks. Best bang for the buck for a production line boot. I usually end up getting about a year and a half or so out of the Vibrams.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

millcreek40

Haix all the way  very comfortable once broken in. I where mine everyday winter &summer. With any other boot my feet freeze in the winter.with the haix boots they stay warm with one pair of socks. Also the only boot that I have ever had that are truly waterproof.  Just changed the shoe laces after 1 1/2 years of use everyday. I order haix laces on line. Had them in one week. Worth every penny in my book
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Mike_M

Wesco in the winter and Danner Corvallis corked hiking boot in the summer. 

deepsouth.us

I'm in my first pair of Haix black eagle safety 52. Best $195 I've ever spent. Super light weight. Great support. I can honestly say my feet are less fatigued at the end of a work day. Also, Haix sells narrow, medium and wide insoles to fit in the boots. Basically the narrow ones are thicker than the medium and so on. This is great for me as I suffered a shattered calcaneus two years ago. The foot is longer than it once was and still swells a good bit. With Haix I can size to the bigger foot and stick the narrow insole in the opposite boot thereby taking up the slack.
Timberking 2000

nativewolf

Did not know that re the insoles.  I have been happy with mine but might have to return them as the top leather separated from sole on one foot.  Unfortunate because they broke in well, wear well, and my feet don't hurt at the end of the day.
Liking Walnut

Bosco

used Redwings for decades, got me some Kennetrecks now wish I'd tried em sooner.

Satamax

Hey guys, a bit of advertising for a french product! 

These are mountaineering boots originally, and they modified the design for loggers. Swedish welt, so completely rebuild-able. 

Chaussure Bûcheron SUPER-FORESTIER anti-coupure Coq+SAP - Paraboot

I have some farmers friends, who swear by the normal mountaineering, non toe caps ones, one, going in the mountain twice a day, to check his cows, has kept a pair for 30 years iirc. Tho, resoled every year or so. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

GRANITEstateMP

does anybody in the New England (NH) area carry the Haix boots?  I always like to touch, feel, try on a pair, before I buy?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Stoneyacrefarm

There is a dealer in New Hampshire. 
I bought a pair of protector primes at the logging show in Vermont last weekend. 
I think they were called windy ridge. 
If you can't find them let me know and I'll send you their info. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mike_belben

Sam's in brattleboro vt and hadley Ma have always had the most boots of anyplace ive been.  Lots of loggers.
Praise The Lord

barbender

I've had a pair of Haix 200 chainsaw boots I wasn't overly impressed with. They were never very comfortable, and the soles came lose from the uppers at about 1 1/2 years. Someone on here suggested I contact Haix, I did and they sent me a brand new pair (I thought that was pretty stand up of them, the boots were out of warranty). I've been wearing these ones for 2 months, and for whatever reason they are more comfortable than the other pair. Also, the 2 zone lacing system works correctly on this pair, and it gives a lot of ankle stability. The other pair the eyes wouldn't latch on the lace. Maybe that pair was made on an off day at the Haix factory😊
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

I was the one who suggested Barbender contact Haix about his XR200 chainsaw boots. Haix makes good stuff and has a reputation for standing behind what they make.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

barbender

Yes, it was you John- and I thank you for it!👍
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

Not sure what was wrong with your first pair. Glad the second one is working out. Mine have been great.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

Not really the specific question asked, but while we are on the subject of standup warranty.. I have to mention Boggs. 

I bought a pair of their muck boots and loved them right out of the box.  But one started squeeking and eventually sprung a leak a few months later.   I called sams where i bought them and they said yeah, one year warranty just bring in your receipt.  It was summer, backburner, etc. The day i finally find the receipt was literally one year later to the day.  I made it in an hour before closing, and they gave me a brand new pair of boots no charge. They were a cheap boot and not terribly durable but i was stunned to get another pair. 
Praise The Lord

celliott

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on May 18, 2018, 02:41:18 PM
does anybody in the New England (NH) area carry the Haix boots?  I always like to touch, feel, try on a pair, before I buy?

Windy ridge in Tamworth has an ad in northern logger magazine for the best price I've seen on the protectors.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!