iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader mounted tree saw.

Started by LeeB, May 19, 2018, 01:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Just curious how these operate. I saw one on fb that just looks like a couple saw blades mounted to a frame. No hydraulics. Do you just forward and reverse until the tree is cut?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

TKehl

Yeah, that's pretty much it. 

There's a guy that makes them the next town over.  A lot of people seem to like them.

http://www.theperfecttreesaw.com/index.html

We bought one of these (below) for our skid steer instead as dad was concerned about repeatedly side loading the loader frame with the one above.

http://www.precisionmfg.com/products/hyreach-clipper/

We like it well enough on stuff under 10".  Keeps some distance from the cab when cutting cedar.  Sometimes needs some blade realignment or it won't clip through and you have to pop the last bit off the stump.  Worst is cutting one just a little too big and doesn't cut through and then the blade will not release from the stump.   :(  Have to climb out through the branches and use the chainsaw to relieve pressure to get it to release.  >:(  The plus is it can be used to clip above a fenceline or rotated to limb branches as high as you can reach. 

If you were going to do a lot or do it for hire, the hydraulic circular brush saw is the way to go if clipping cedar and scrub.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

LeeB

The one I saw was like a home made version of the perfect and I believe he said he got the blades from them. His blades had more of am angle to them than the perfect and the whole thing didn't look near as robust.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mike_belben

I dont think a wheeled bobcat is a great carrier for the hacksaw style saw.  The ground is rarely flat enough for the machine to not bounce all over which makes the implement jump.  I think youd have a lot of trouble getting it to stay in a kerf.  

And weather will dictate a lot on certain ground. you can only drive over the same woods ground so many times before it turns to mush and you are high centered on the chain case during high ground moisture.  I wouldnt bother unless the carrier was on tracks, or the trees were really small and likely to sever in one or two passes.. Or the conditions were very flat and dry.  

Theyre a dozer clearing tool.
Praise The Lord

LeeB

I'm not really looking for one. I was just curious as to how they work. I have a dozer and that would be my first choice. 

TKehl

Good point Mike.  Not a lot of float on skid steer hydraulics.

Would be better for isolated trees in a pasture.  However, much of what we clear is cedar thickets.  Have to make minor adjustments for each cut depending on what the wheels are on and that is sitting still.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Skeans1

It doesn't seem like a well thought through idea to me, to cut it would be like a hand saw minus the bar or blade can't bow like a hand saw.

Thank You Sponsors!