iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 foot pulpers?

Started by gman98, January 05, 2018, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver05262

When I was in High School in No. Bennington, they logged off the McIntyre job and some other sections in Glastenbury. The pulp was all four foot, and we could hear those big Ford and Mercury trucks on route 67 thundering out towards New York state on their way to West Virginia Pulp & Paper's mill in Mechanicville. Guy Savage had the nicest trucks that I remember.
  Later on I cut some 4' elm and popple for a guy in Ferrisburg. He hauled it to Ticonderoga on a single axle 60 series Chevvy and claimed he was making money. All I had was a 550 McCulloch and that big saw was way overkill..............
Good old days

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Southside

gman -

I can still see the train coming around Squaw Pan Lake with 4' wood on it.  Of course that was back when JP Levesque was running his mill, and you better had been careful on the Pinkham road as the unlimited loads were still rolling into Irving, so it has been a while. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

One of the good things about 4 foot has been mentioned already, little layout in logging equipment for the small guy. You could load a pickup truck or one ton with 4 foot and take it through the mill gates at a couple facilities I knew of. Repap and Fraser Papers as I recall. Some fellas did that for grocery money, quite literally. It was fellas near the mills and working on their woodlots. But I've seen big operations haul it to. Used to be road side stops where the trucks coming in off those rough forest roads had to pull in and drive through two big steel upright drums to even up the load before going down the highway. There might be a stick here and there in the load protruding out the side of the stack that would be poked back into the pile to neaten things up. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

At the youth camp I worked at in the 60s the camp boys would fell and limb Red Pine, and Norway spruce and our crew would skid it to the landing where my partner and I would buck it into 4' lengths.
The trucker would show up and the boys would put the bolts up to my pard and I on the truck.
Took about 1/2 hr to load the 10 wheeler with 4 tiers.
We told them if they could get it to us we could handle it.
Worked out all but once when a strapping kid of 19 or so gave me a huge butt bolt to put on the top if the tier, but I just grinned and put it on the deck for the next one.
Told him I was born at night but not last night.
This was all un peeled stuff that went to St Regis in Deferiet.
Also at my ADK camp property a few years ago while bush wacking on our atvs we stopped by a unusual hump in the woods.
It was a moss covered pile of 4' wood.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Matt601

I had 2 short wood trucks but we cut them 5 foot 3 inch's. If they was going to chip them there we could cut it 6 foot. I cut a many stick with a bow saw and loaded with a cable winch run off the PTO of the truck.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

dgdrls

Many of the sites mentioned here are Hydro-station sites still generating,
most are now independent of the paper mills or the mills have closed altogether.

D

TKehl

Not quite pulp, but the Cedar (ERC) shaving mills around here most all want 48-50" bolts.  

I've sold some that way that I brought in on a car trailer and back of a pickup.  It's a hard way to make a buck, but it is doable.  I keep it in mind as a backup plan to my backup plans.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

in the winters of 1984/85  i would cut and stack a cord roadside everyday after school.  just a chainsaw and pulp tongs.   i was in the best shape of my life and always had a pocketful of money at school.

hauled it all to roadside with a honda big red 3 wheeler and homemade cart. 5 trips per cord.  aaahhhh the good old days  local trucker (my dad) would pick it up and write me a check on the spot.  it was our land so i also got to keep the stumpage

other kids thought i had some illegal business on the side but, 4 foot pulp was way more fun( if that makes any sense)

wish i had some pictures but i was always alone for some reason

SwampDonkey

My uncle cut some 4 foot around the time the local marketing board started. At that time there was a quota system because there were large producers logging for a living, not just a load or two a year. So with the quota system they used ticketing to move wood to mills. My uncle tried to get a ticket to move his 4 foot to market. Well the wood got too dry and stained and no ticket, so it went into the furnace for heat. I think that was the last time my uncle cut wood to sell. That was around 1983 or 84. Dad always cut wood on the farm and there was always a way to sell it during those quota years. Didn't need no ticket to export or with a broker. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dsgsr

After school and weekends, that was my job. Move brush and stack 4' pulp, mostly softwood. One winter we did oak 4', That's some heavy stuff for a youngster. We were logging with a horse and sometimes a pair of ponies pulling a wagon.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

morflail

Worked for a man in town that cut and hauled pulp. We cut it  5 ft  and hand loaded on a ford haulout truck and transferred to the trailer parked close to the road. This in 1960 and he had all the wood he could cut.  Now Jersey had a fair amout of mills  that we hauled to. I miss those days 12 dollars a day 7 days a week . Homelite saws and Mack B61 tractors. 
CBR

luvmexfood

Never did pulp wood but remember the days of square baled hay and burley tobacco. Other than setting it out every thing else was done by hand. Cut it, spear 5 or 6 stalks on a stick then haul it to the barn and climb up in the barn and hang it. Just hard work. 

j
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CX3

My dad still tells of days when he would load 2 cord or 3 on a flatbed truck and take 4 ft cord wood to the charcoal kiln. He recalls getting  $7.50 for a cord stacked square on the block. Dad and Uncle Lee would fall the cull oak timber on state sales they purchased from the forestry department. They would buck it to length and hand carry it to the old truck up on the road. I asked once what they did with pieces that were too heavy to carry. Dad said they carried them lol.

I learned alot from these guys.

Thanks dad for gettin it done like a man
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

That's like the response I got from dad about who graded the lumber off the circular mill we hired to cut lumber for the packing shed. His response was it was all number one. Well, it was likely that and better, been standing now for 30 years and been 3 other owners since he sold the place. ;)

SwampDonkey

Dad recalled in the 60's loading rail cars of 4 foot. $20 cord after he cut, hauled to the siding and handled a second time. Well, that is what happens when there is all kinds of wood and all kinds of nearly free wood on the market. You can't cut logs without making pulp to. ;)

Magicman

Not pulp but my Brother and I cut Black Locust fence post @ 5¢ per post.  We worked a year behind in that we bucked the post in the Winter from the trees that we had felled that previous Winter.  They had lain, aged, and the bark had fallen off by then.  The only tools that we had were a single bit axe and a 5' crosscut saw.

We hand carried them out and loaded them onto a trailer and then stacked them 10X10X 10 high.  Dad would not use an unseasoned post but they were tough to drive a staple into.  He always said that you had to hold you mouth just right to drive a staple.  I guess that we did because we did.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The mouth holding thing works for angling salmon to. :D That was a common saying from my grandfather, when sitting out there in a canoe in the hot sun waiting to hook a fish. ;)

shortlogger

it was a very common thing where I live up until the 90's then it really started falling off . just about everyone I knew hauled pulpwood at some point in their life . Some guys had pulpwood trucks with cable loaders and some people had a 1 ton or a trailer with a rack on it . I hauled my last load of 4' chip wood about ten years ago that was about the time the place shut down and moved out. it was bringing $50 a cord. it was pretty hard work but I could usually get a 2 cord load nearly every day after work so it wasn't to bad for extra cash. still one chip mill in town but the shortest they take is 12' now.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

mike_belben

I think the loss of the short pulp industry probably shares some responsibility for the conversion of nice hardwood stands into shade tolerant twisty pecker wood.  70% of the trees i cast my eye on wont make anything more than paper no matter how long they grow, but the only guy who can afford to haul it out of small lots somewhat profitably is the weekender with just a pickup and saw.  So it stays on the stump and outpaces good trees instead.  
Praise The Lord

Ken

We used to have a relatively strong softwood pulpwood market.  It was a great way to get rid of rotten butts for a reasonable price.  Before the Repap mill in Miramichi closed its doors we were getting 110+/cord delivered for swd pulp including full loads of 4' or 8' with an allowable content component for tamarack, pine, etc.  I don't see those days ever returning.   Don't miss piling the stuff by hand though.   We sometimes have to cut 6' cedar and it is a pain even with the machinery.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!