iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 290 Farm Boss - hard starting when out of gas. Any similar problems?

Started by gus1957, February 02, 2008, 06:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gus1957

I'm noticing the more I use the 290 - now about 50 hours on it and bucking vs. felling when it runs out of gas -- it take a lot more pulls to start or won't start at all.

It normally takes about 5 pulls when cold to start, after running out of gas it takes 10-15 or won't start.

The Northeast Stihl rep. said it might be a bad coil since when you put the saw on its side to refuel the heat of the engine goes into the coil area or a bad line?

Taking it to the dealer soon to have them look at it.

Anybody else have this problem?

Kevin

It's not apt to be a bad coil in my opinion.
The main thing is, don't let the saw run out of fuel.
It could be just the method you are using to restart a warm saw.
If it takes too many pulls, pull the plug to see if it's wet.
It may not be getting fuel or it could be flooding.
Check your manual for starting a warm saw.

Reddog

On any of the saws I have had, if I ran them empty it took 10 plus pulls on full choke to get them going. Most cold starting were 5-7 pulls. These have been Johnny's,Huskey's and Stihl's.

The key is stop before running out. Also running a saw out of fuel in a hard cut can cause it to run lean for the last few seconds. My feeling is that can add up to more stress on the piston and cylinder.

Kevin

mike_van

When I hear that first miss or skip, shut 'er off - Refuel, start on the 1st pull then.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

gus1957

This saw gives no sign of running out of fuel.
The 041 & 026 would rev up when getting low.
I would shut it off before completely out and refuel and then restart with 1 pull  no problem.

The Stihl rep 1st thought was I was using 87 oct. gas which is not the case, 93.

I dropped it off to the dealer this afternoon for them to look at it.

Ianab

My 310 can be a pig to restart if it's run dry too.

If you can refuel it before it runs dry thats the best.

But if I do empty the tank I find 1 pull with choke, then switch to the warm start position and a few more pulls it starts. Seems very easy to flood when warm starting with choke, and then you may as well just put it aside, sit down and have a rest for 10 mins and save your arm. You will get the saw started again at about the same time   :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

letsgetitracing

It sounds like the saw that runs out and is hard to start is very lean already. We tune them so when they run out they just quit, I know it is hard on them. When they come from the factory they run out they start screaming then, we shut them off and no problems. Might want to turn the H side out a 1/4 turn and then when it starts running out you will know before it runs completly dry. just my thoughts. does it seems a little lean on the low side as well. little boggy or not?? the saw will make less heat as well. We richen them up a hair in the winter.

Does anyone else run Amsoil 100 to 1 mix it's good stuff. 
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

gus1957

My Stihl dealer called to say they did have to replace the coil.

I will be able to try it in a couple of days when back in the woods.

Right now 50 degrees here and raining. Should be back down in 20's by the weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!