iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting square with LT28

Started by jrkimroxie, January 05, 2011, 10:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I cut logs as fast as it will cut with a 51 h cat no dive and all square. wood mizer is the best  8) 8) for me.   ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

If a Wood-mizer couldn't cut a 6x6 square, reliably,  because of pull-down,  as is being entertained here, then what would 24" wide boards look like which are cut as fast as surface quality permits?   They'd be wedges.   I cut wide boards like that all the time.  Mine are the same thickness on either side.  Within a 64th, 32nd or 1/16 I'm not sure, sitting here, but no way off by any amount that matters.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

One factor not mentioned so far...JR's mill has a newly built pineywoods turner/clamp. The clamp and the turner are one and the same. When clamping a cant, it is quite easy to lift the back side of the cant slightly. There is a learning curve..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Quote from: pineywoods on January 08, 2011, 11:33:18 PMThere is a learning curve..

To keep it from turning up on it's side  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wannasaw

We bought our LT28 in april and it seems to need tweaking every once in a while. I suggest making sure the rails are 90degrees from the backstops which they should be if they haven't been adjusted (mine have been good every check) Then continue adjusting the blade for square cant off the bed. This will of course produce an uneven board with each adjustment but you should be able to get eveness from the cant into the 32nds. NOTE from personal experience: Make sure the cant you are using to do the adjusting isn't stressed rising in the middle or either end. We also adjusted the bottom board thickness successfully twice so far. I just call it growing pains... Like sawing stickers...
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

MartyParsons

I really should stay out of this but here goes. The comments above should help, here are some other ideas for all band mills owners not just WM.
Round log take one or two cuts with the log clamped, turn log over 180 degrees, make sure you are not Rambo and over clamp ( pulls the log off the bed rails), most times the weight of the log will hold the log down if it is against the back supports or dogs. Take one or two cuts on this face, turn log 90 degrees clamp log, get a framing square and check to see if you are square from the bed rail to the flat side of the log.  ( you should have round side, bark, top and bottom and a face on the back support and a face against the clamp.) If not reclamp, do this for a few logs and look from the operator station down the log and note when it is square and what it looks like. Your eye is a percision instrument. Once you get in your head what square looks like put the square away.
And --- when you turn 180 the log should be against the back support square when clamped, this would be you last face to open.

Now if your mill is cutting curved lumber or the mill is out of align then this will not work. When I train a new mill owner I like to show them this, it seems to help. It also will not work if you only turn the log 90 degrees.

Hope this helps,
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!