iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with Lane #1 sawmill in need of work

Started by Mike944, November 24, 2015, 04:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike944

Hi everybody

New member here.  I just wanted to introduce myself.    I just acquired a Lane #1 circular sawmill*, in pretty rough shape.   All the iron looks quite good, but the wood is almost completely gone.   I have just enough wood left to have a template for most of the wood parts i need to make.

The saw was disassembled when i bought it, so i'm not completely sure where all the parts go, and how it was assembled.   Good quality photos, with good detail, and/or documentation seem scarce online.

I know the Lane mills were popular in New England, i'm hoping someone has a set-up and working Lane #1 in the area, that i can come look at, take pictures of, and get a chance to talk to someone with knowledge of them, and maybe even cut some replacement wood parts for me.

During the winter, i plan to clean up the rust on the iron parts, and get them painted.  I hear they were painted green?  Anyone know anything about the particular shade of green that Lane used?

Mike
Haddam, CT

*The sawmill(s) that i bought was more of a collection.   A Lane #1, a Lane #0, and some misc parts from a 3rd (unknown) and significantly larger mill.    The lane #1 appears to be in the best shape, and the most complete, so that is the one i plan to rebuild.   However, i have options to mix and match, in case i find that i'm missing parts.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Sounds like a great project. Lots of knowledge on this Forum, and look forward to your progress.

In case you don't have it, here is a pdf of a good circular saw booklet with a lot of good information.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

What you will probably find out is Mills of this age are already made up of parts from other mills or Shadetree modified.  Mine sure is and I bet the majority of My Lane is the steel in the Carriage.   None of the Husk in my Deck is from Lane that I can identify.  Could be the Arbor shaft is.  The rest has been altered long ago and is due for some more changes.  If yours is complete with the main components being the Headsaw,  Husk and Power unit, Carriage and Tracks.  Putting one together is doable but not very easy.  Are you doing this by yourself and do you have supporting equipment?  You'll need a good foundation and cover.  Pulleys, Belts, Sharpeners, Log Decks, Sawdust Chains are just a few of the other things needed   I've been chipping away at one.  If you're not into it with a lot of money.   RUN!  :D
Run very far away and buy a Bandmill.   Or, become a Millwright.  ;)
It's great to put these mills back together for posterity but just go into it both eyes wide open.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Welcome Mike, I have a hybred  Chase Da Lane mill mostly Chase but I have that beautiful big cast iron Lane #1 husk. I'am up in southern Ma. you would be welcome to look at my mill but I'am sure there are several closer. Don't get discouraged, it taint easy, but its worth the build. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

logs2lumber

Tessie

Good luck ...take pic and don't be afraid to ask ...good guys on the forum an very helpful

Magicman

Welcome Tessie.  You have been mighty quiet for over 3 years, so how about an intro thread from you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tessie

Sorry, bout that , you're right...hi, to everyone ..new poster just today.. :) takes me awhile to do the computer thing..wife helped  ha   Been a millwright @ papermill 47 years, always enjoyed the pulp an paper stuff. Built a frick circular mill about 25 years ago (hobby) still use it ,471 Detroit power ,blower ,conveyor,few other gadgets that make it alittle easier to use. thanks to all the info last couple of years .I enjoy the whole website..posted a few pic. in the gallery...that's about as far as I've gotten...i'll keep working on it,  actually Tessie is my wifes nick name..ya see who the boss is ha

beenthere

Tessie
Welcome.

Now one easy step to put your pic in your post..
* go to the post (either a new one or modify your old one).
* click the line below that starts out "Click here to add...."
* A window will pop up, and you click that tab above in the menu line that says "My gallery".
* Click on the pic you want to post and the line just below the pic will have the url link, just click on it.
* Then do the Ctrl-C to copy that line, and a Ctrl-V to paste it in your post.
* Click "preview" to check that it is in your post as you want it.

All there is to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Mike944,
Is there a hidden Porsche in your screen name??

Lots of great folks here,

Dan

Mike944

Quote from: Mooseherder on November 24, 2015, 06:57:15 PM
What you will probably find out is Mills of this age are already made up of parts from other mills or Shadetree modified.  Mine sure is and I bet the majority of My Lane is the steel in the Carriage.   None of the Husk in my Deck is from Lane that I can identify.  Could be the Arbor shaft is.  The rest has been altered long ago and is due for some more changes.  If yours is complete with the main components being the Headsaw,  Husk and Power unit, Carriage and Tracks.  Putting one together is doable but not very easy.  Are you doing this by yourself and do you have supporting equipment?  You'll need a good foundation and cover.  Pulleys, Belts, Sharpeners, Log Decks, Sawdust Chains are just a few of the other things needed   I've been chipping away at one.  If you're not into it with a lot of money.   RUN!  :D
Run very far away and buy a Bandmill.   Or, become a Millwright.  ;)
It's great to put these mills back together for posterity but just go into it both eyes wide open.

From what I can see, it seems mostly original.

I didn't expect it to be easy, but I like a challenge, and I have a thing for functional antique machinery.    I am doing this by myself, and I'll have to acquire the support equipment.     I expect this to be a 2 yr project.   Nothing I was expecting to complete tomorrow.

Mike944

Quote from: dgdrls on November 25, 2015, 04:49:21 PM
Welcome aboard Mike944,
Is there a hidden Porsche in your screen name??

Lots of great folks here,

Dan

There was.   I used to have an '84 Porsche 944.    The first forum I ever joined (long time ago) was a Porsche forum.    The name just stuck.   It's usually not taken, and I don't have to remember a bunch of forum ID's, and this way, people can always find me on multiple forums. 

I currently have a '92 968.  I bought it with most of the engine in a cardboard box in the trunk, and rebuilt it in a few months in the dead of winter.   

Mike944

Ok, I have a stupid question as a newbie to circular mills.     Several of you have mentioned it.   Which part exactly is the "husk"?

bandmiller2

Mike, the husk is where the arbor and feed works are mounted, usually right in front of where the sawyer stands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mike944

Ah, ok.   So it's the frame around that.     

Someone above mentioned a cast iron Lane husk.     Mine is wood, and it looks like it was always wood.    Perhaps the cast iron was an option?   Or a older or newer one?

I'd like to figure out approximately how old my machine is.   Any things to look for?

beenthere

Mike
Page 42 of the Circular Sawmill pdf here.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

QuoteMain components of the husk are the arbor, saw, saw guide and splitter.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!