iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms441 gas in cylinder

Started by duckslayingpro, January 01, 2014, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckslayingpro

Howdy guys. I've been a member of the logging forum for a while now and been lurking in the chainsaw forum for a while now also. 
Anyhow I'm having a problem with my 441 cylinder filling with gas while it sits for a little while. It will drain a full tank. I thought maybe the metering valve in the carburetor so I decided to pull it off and check/clean it. Well I pulled it off and the fuel line had enough pressure it would shoot gas a few feet out of the line with the saw being moved. I'm assuming the vent maybe but was wondering some options before I tore into it more. Thanks and Happy New Year

blueberrymuzik

I think the vent is an excellent place to start looking. Do you have the IPL that shows its' location? It's a little different on the MS441.

jacob j.

It's normal in modern Stihls for enough pressure to build that gas shoots out the fuel line when not connected to the carburetor. The fuel tank vent on modern Stihls is designed to prevent a vacuum from building in the tank (which would cut the flow of fuel) and allow pressure to build (increasing the flow of fuel.) You were right in thinking metering valve- the inlet needle lever may be too high or the metering diaphragm may be sucked in and both of those situations would case the cylinder/crankcase area to fill with fuel while the saw is sitting.

Try a new carb kit and make sure the inlet needle lever is set correctly.

tlandrum

could also be a leaking needle seat
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Al_Smith

Try opening the fuel cap when you shut it down for the day .Vent off the tank pressure .You probabley have a microscopic piece of gunk under the needle valve.

Ya know it's a crap shoot .You might play with that carb for a month of Sundays and never get it right or a rebuild might get-er-done .If a vent from the cap gets it ,leave it alone .

I don't know what a 441 has for carb but there have been some issues since Zama started being made in China.

Thank You Sponsors!