iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Half-log construction

Started by 1938farmall, April 24, 2010, 01:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1938farmall

Hello,  I'm getting a bit old to be starting a real log cabin (but I want the "real log" look) so I'm thinking about standard frame construction with half log cladding inside & outside.  I have a mill to split the logs & lifting equipment.  Was thinking about 4"x4" studs to take spikes from the logs & to carry the weight of the log wall.  Would want to chink after logs shrink and would leave a 2"-3"gap.  Probably use a vertical log at the corners with a 90deg. pie cut out to fit around the framing and butt horizontal half-logs to it.

Anybody tried this or seen it done?  Would be interesting to know if there are any special problems to think about.  All opinions welcome.  Thanks,  al
aka oldnorskie

Jim_Rogers

al:
If you do a search here on the forum I think you'll find lots of info about do that.

I think Jeff did that on his house some years ago, but you'll have to look around and see what's here already or maybe someone else will post a link.....

Good luck with your project.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logwalker

To me it looks like that could be as much work as a full log home. I think with the mill you could put two parallel faces and stack them with a spline. I never liked the log sided look. But I look forward to seeing how it comes out for you.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

glenn molenaar

al,
I have built several loghomes and used a duct lift I will be 70 soon. The logs were milled to standard sizes 6"x8" "D" shaped and 6"x12" dovetail I purchased these from loghome suppliers, they were not heavy timber logs. The duct lift is used to install hvac duct work. At present my milled loghome is on the market after it is sold I plan to build another milled loghome. If you have any questions feel free to contact me I'll try to answer them, but remember this was done with factory milled timber. Also I'm retired and sell nothing. email, mologhomes@mo-net.com
Glenn

fred in montana

I did something very similar on my house. The original house was small log cabin. I added on with conventional framing. Siding was peeled log slabs and chinking.

It turned out good and was pretty easy to do.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!