iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small scale build

Started by OHBucknut, July 23, 2019, 09:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHBucknut

So since you can never have enough storage...I decided to build a small scale board and batten shed to kind of learn what kind of challenges I can expect before I build my 40x30 barn. This is a simple 12x9 shed I'm working on.

I have learned a lot already about milling my own lumber, like how many times you have to handle it and working around imperfections and  so on. Great and rewarding experience. I hope to get the rafters on and siding milled this weekend.

The most challenging part I have found is milling the lumber. The I have had many bowed and twisted 2x4s come off the mill. Learning all about stress and trying to make better quality lumber.  This is pin oak and the other thing I never thought of was the weight. Holy cow I bet this thing will weigh 4xs as much as much. They as green and HEAVY.

I'll try to keep pictures coming as I get closer!

btulloh

Building something small like that is a great idea. You can sure learn a lot when you use your own framing lumber. By the time you finish that you'll know how to saw consistent framing lumber. Personally I'd try to stay away from pin oak, but we use what we have. Keep up the good work.
HM126

OHBucknut

I know pin oak is not a popular choice but I have a ton of it. Is there  any particular reason why you would not use it? I was going to use poplar  for the boards and batten maybe. I have not decided but I figured the framing could be done in the pin oak.  There are a lot of horse stalls around here that use it. I think it's bc it taste bad and they won't chew on it.

btulloh

Just because it's heavy for framing.  It likes to move when you saw it and as it dries.  Just makes things a little harder to work with.  If it's what I had a lot of, I'd be using it though. The nice thing about what you're doing with the little shed is you can try out some different things.  
HM126

OHBucknut

Any thoughts on board and batten? I have a lot of poplar cherry pin oak and maple.

Unfortunately no cedar around here

btulloh

Out of that list, I'd say poplar.  It doesn't want to take a lot o continuous wetting though.  Wide overhangs are your friend.  Do something to deal with the splash zone.  Gutters are good.  For a small building, I always wanted to try some chain downspouts (waterfall I think it's called) but never have.  Maybe put treated lumber in the splash zone.  Or weather proof it with something.

It would probably be hard to get a lot of wide pin oak for siding. Maybe you have big pin oaks.  It's probably going to cup more though.

Cherry seems like a waste of furniture wood and it tends to split when subjected to those conditions.  

Soft maple or hard maple?  Soft maple maybe.  Sell the hard maple.

You said you're doing this small building to try out some things.  Try some things.  Either small sections or one wall.  It's easy enough to swap out some b&b if you put it up with screws. I tried out some white pine, scotch pine, oak.  I used mostly SYP, since that makes good siding and it's abundant here.  I didn't try poplar because I don't have a lot of it and I have other uses for it.  I did use poplar to sheath a roof though.

There's always lots of advice and opinions about B&B on here when somebody brings it up.  I bet people start to chime in this evening.
HM126

Don P

You're on the ground which isn't good for any wood. If this is temporary use what you have the most of. Just a framing note, a triangle cannot change shape, any shape with 4 or more sides can. Your frame needs to be triangularized to brace it. Some angled braces in each wall, diagonal sheathing or sheets of plywood are ways of doing that.  My experience with rain chains is they splatter and splash, even more if the wind is blowing. They look neat but I'm not sold on them near wood. One client put them on a house I built with an oak timber porch, every time it rains those posts by the chains get wet ::). I pointed it out and said undiplomatically that they needed to go. "We paid a lot of money for those!" Checking my tongue at the door I thought, that's nothing compared to replacing those posts when they rot prematurely.

OHBucknut

I have both hard and soft maple. I was thinking the pin oak wasnt a great choice. I do like the look of it(very rustic). But I think it will be poplar. 

I have seen ppl use 50/50 mix of motor oil and diesel to stain and protect it and I like the look a lot.

As far as selling I am just a guy with a manual mill. I wasn't planning on marketing any lumber just because I don't have anywhere to store it and don't know how to start that business side of things. Although if I get enough building built I will have a place to stockpile it lol.

Thanks for the input.

OHBucknut

As far as being on the ground, the shed will be moved to a gravel base and it's sitting on pressure treated 4x4.

Also I see what your saying about the bracing and I put house wrap under the planks cut for the flooring.  So it will breathe but not let moisture in from the ground 

OHBucknut

Update: trusses are built now I have to mill more lumber for purlins.

OHBucknut

Roof is on and some of the siding.

OHBucknut

Sorry for duplication but the siding is poplar 10" boards going to do 3.5" battens

Thank You Sponsors!